It is assumed that a candidate for the Master of Science degree has made a commitment to the scholarly study of education and to teaching as a career. Secondary education programs include courses in professional education, the teaching fields, and general education.
Candidates should apply to the College of Education for acceptance to a teacher education program no later than the fourth semester of their enrollment at Alabama State University. Upon acceptance to a program, an adviser in Secondary Education will be assigned to assist in designing an acceptable program. The adviser in the College of Education will coordinate the advisement process with the adviser in the teaching fields.
Candidates seeking certification in other states should seek advisement from the Certification Officer in the College of Education.
Curriculum and Teaching (9-12 hours)
- SED 590 Comm, Collaboration and Diversity (3)
Foundations of Professional Studies
- SED 500 Exceptional Students in Inclusive Schools (0-3)
- (Required if not previously taken)
- SED 520 Context of Education (3)
- SED 550 Research, Publication & Grant Writing (3)
Teaching Field (24 hours)
- Adviser-approved courses in Special Education (24)
Electives (3-6 hours)
- Adviser-approved electives (3-6)
This school offers programs in: