Our curriculum is designed to help students master economic analysis, use it creatively to find solutions to problems, and develop confidence in analysing issues and answering questions relevant to their work.
Flexibility is a key character of the programme - students have a number of elective courses to choose from, and courses of varying blends of abstraction and applicability are available. In addition to courses offered by the MEcon Programme, students may also choose elective courses from the Master of Accounting (MAcct), Master of Business Administration (MBA), Master of Finance (MFin), Master of Science in Business Analytics (MSc(BA)) and Master of Science in Marketing (MSc(Mktg)) programmes under the advice and approval of the Programme Directors concerned.
Who Should Apply
The MEcon Programme is most suitable for three types of students:
- those who have some economics training and consider starting a career as a professional economist
- those who want to acquire advanced economics knowledge that is useful for them in the workplace
- those who simply wish to gain a systemic framework to understand the economic problems around us
Although an undergraduate degree in economics or related disciplines is not a pre-requisite, applicants should have good quantitative skills or possess knowledge of first-year college calculus.
Meeting Venue and Time
Meeting Venue: Admiralty Town Centre or Cyberport Campus or HKU Main Campus
Meeting Time: Weekday daytime or evenings, or Saturdays
Duration of Study
The curriculum shall extend over a minimum of one academic year and a maximum of two academic years for full-time study. Students at normal progress shall finish the programme in one academic year.
To be eligible for admission to the Master of Economics Programme, a candidate must:
- hold a Bachelor's degree of this University; or a qualification of equivalent standard from this University or another comparable institution accepted for this purpose;
- obtain statements from two referees, regarding his/her suitability for the Programme; and
- obtain a TOEFL/IELTS score* if he/she is not from an English teaching university.
* A minimum score of 90 in TOEFL or overall band of 7 with no subtest lower than 6.5 in IELTS is required.
GMAT/GRE scores are not required, but a good GMAT/GRE score will be favourably considered and can be helpful for marginal cases.
Applicants may be invited for an interview.
Application for Intake 2020 is about to begin (the application system will open in early September 2019).
- Round 1: 12:00 noon (HKT), October 22, 2019
- Round 2: 12:00 noon (HKT), December 30, 2019
- Round 3: 12:00 noon (HKT), February 13, 2020
We welcome overseas applicants. Candidates who wish to be admitted based on qualification from a university outside Hong Kong, where the language of teaching is not English, are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL*). The International English Language Testing System (IELTS*) is also accepted as an equivalent standard. Upon successful application, overseas students will need to arrange their own student visas.
About the School
Tracing its roots back over a century, the University of Hong Kong (HKU) today proudly stands as one of the leading institutions of higher education in Asia. And with it, the Faculty of Business and E ... Read More