The Master of Science in Economics (ME) is a one year Master program, oriented towards students with broad interests in social and scientific matters who are capable of critical and creative thinking.
What is the 'Master of Economics' all about?
The Master of Economics program offers students with a bachelor's degree a theoretical framework, allowing them to provide well-grounded answers to socio-economic questions. As an economist, you will observe the various players (individuals, companies, domestic and foreign governments) and their interactions within the global economy. You will be able to interpret the general economic situation in a wider social and legal context.
The program consists of a common core of two program units and a master's thesis.
You select one of the three majors:
- General Economics
- Research in Economics
- Financial Economics
The Faculty of Economics and Business has close links with top business schools around the world, such as Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, University of Cardiff in the UK, Hanken in Finland, SKEMA Business School in France, the University of Illinois in the United States, the University of Sydney and the University of Adelaide in Australia, Queen's University in Canada, Tsinghua and Fudan University in China, PUC in Brazil, City University of Hong Kong and many more institutions both in Europe and overseas.
For Student MSc in Business Economics, the faculty offers an additional semester at one of these destinations after completing 2 semesters in Leuven. Make your experience truly international by studying in different parts of the world.
Application deadline for 2018-2019
- 1 March 2018 (for non-EEA citizens)
- 1 June 2018 (for EEA citizens)
KU Leuven uses an online application system. You can download and submit your application form via www.kuleuven.be/application. Students with a Flemish degree can consult www.kuleuven.be/studentenadministratie.
Visit the prospective students' website for more information.
More useful information about the program for 2018 -2019 is available here.
EEA citizens: € 906.1
Non-EEA citizens: € 1,750
Is this the right program for me?
- You have an interest in the dynamics of economy and society.
- You have an ability to analyze, synthesize and interpret.
- You have a positive scientific attitude and you are critical and creative.
Students should have a solid academic background in economics or business, including the most important domains in economics or business/management (such as macro and microeconomics), mathematics and statistics. Students should also be familiar with more general themes necessary for understanding the evolutions in the business world and be able to relate these evolutions to the broader social, juridical, political and societal context.
As a graduate, you will have a very informed perspective on society as a whole. Moreover, you will be equipped to address social problems in an economically and socially sound way. Thanks to the expertise and flexibility acquired throughout the course of the program, you will be qualified for employment in a variety of contexts, including:
- Policy development in sectors in which decision making is highly dependent on the external economic context: government research centers, professional associations, large enterprises and international organizations.
- Problem solution and implementation in managerial positions involving external communication, i.e. government departments, public institutions, international organisations, financial services, companies and social organisations.
- Critical reflection on and transfer of knowledge in education and basic scientific research.
The Master of Economics program aims to transfer an economic-science based structured reasoning about individual, interpersonal and social phenomena so that the student is able to autonomously formulate an answer to questions or developments that the society/sector/company is facing.
The training aims knowledge, to provide understanding, skills, and attitudes required to achieve recognition, structuring and solve complex economic issues in their contextual environment. In addition, the training aims the ability and skills to communicate and to report economic analysis and solutions and to test the results in an explicit ethical value framework.
Exit qualifications of the program:
- The student masters the general framework of economic analysis, the conceptual and methodological principles of economic science and can, therefore, recognize economic problems.
- The student can - by means of economic research methods and techniques - carry out, independently and in teams as well - a complete analysis of economic problems. This includes: formulating the problem, selecting of information, master mathematical and econometric methods, setting up a research-based strategy, reporting, and presentation of the research and the results, including the possible policy recommendations.
- Master of Business Administration (Brussels)
- Master in de handelswetenschappen (Brussel)
- Master in de handelswetenschappen - avondonderwijs via combinatie contact- en afstandsonderwijs (Brussel)
- Master of Economics (this program is not offered this academic year)
- Master of Business Administration: Double Degree Montpellier (outgoing) (Brussels et al)
- Master of European Social Security (Leuven)
- Master of European Politics and Policies (Leuven et al)
Access after preparatory, bridging or abridged program:
- Master in de vergelijkende en internationale politiek (Leuven), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma Master in de vergelijkende en internationale politiek (Leuven)
- Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen)
More Information at: Master of Economics - KU Leuven
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 16, 2018