The adaptation of the humanities and social sciences to current times and the expansion of their research and dissemination capabilities thanks to digital tools have given rise to what is known as digital humanities. This master offers the knowledge of the most advanced digital techniques and trains specialized professionals who help humanistic research and the whole of society to better understand and use all of our cultural heritage.
Digital humanities are a new discipline in which humanistic and social studies converge with new computer tools. Three major axes of action can be detected. Firstly, the acquisition of technical skills and competences that allow the treatment, preservation, diffusion and use of humanistic knowledge in the digital medium. Secondly, reflection on the role of the digital medium in the production of digital objects and knowledge. And thirdly, the critical analysis of the impact of technologies on society, on the concept of authorship and on the political agenda, as well as the contribution of humanistic knowledge to the digital society.
The master aims to train professionals specialized in the design of original and innovative applications or projects in the field of digital humanities and in the management of digital heritage. For this, it will be necessary for them to be experts in the use of different techniques and types of representation of digital data, in digital technologies for the treatment of different types of data and in the current regulations regarding the authorship, use, reproduction and dissemination of knowledge. and digital objects.
The areas of work of these professionals are museums, temporary exhibitions, libraries, archives, the publishing sector, cultural management companies and collaboration in research projects in the humanities and social sciences.
In accordance with the provisions of article 16 of Royal Decree 1393/2007, of October 29, to access the official university master's degrees, you must have one of the following degrees:
- Spanish official university degree.
- Title issued by a higher education institution of the EHEA that empowers in the country of issuance, to access the official master's degree.
- Title outside the EHEA. In such a case, homologation to an official Spanish university degree is required, or prior verification (without homologation) by the University of Barcelona that the studies completed correspond to training equivalent to that of Spanish official university degrees and that the studies completed enable, in the country that issues the degree, to access official master's studies. Acceptance into an official master's degree does not imply, in any case, the homologation of the previous degree or the recognition for other purposes than that of completing a master's degree.
Objectives and competencies
- Acquire knowledge about the application of ICT in research and dissemination of the humanities with a critical vision.
- Know the methodologies for the design of projects in digital humanities.
- Acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to design, create and develop digital applications in cultural settings (for example, in museums).
- Know how to use the computer solutions necessary for the development and parameterization of these products and services.
- Ability to work in an interdisciplinary team.
- Ability to adapt the design of processes, procedures and tasks in the professional field to today's digital environments.
- Ability to identify new digital techniques, stay up-to-date on their use and apply them to professional practice.
- Ability to critically evaluate and promote the participation of the humanities in the digitized society.
- Ability to correctly identify and apply current regulations regarding authorship, use, reproduction and dissemination of knowledge and digital objects.
- Ability to analyze and formalize information with digital tools.
- Ability to apply digital technologies in the treatment and preservation of data of different types.
- Ability to exploit textual corpus of interest to the humanities.
- Ability to make digital products that allow a better dissemination of humanistic knowledge.
- Ability to manage digital heritage of interest to the humanities.
- Ability to master different techniques and types of representation of digital data and the results of its analysis.
- Ability to develop original and innovative applications or projects in the field of digital humanities.
- Ability to design, manage and carry out original work in the specific area of the master, present it and defend it before an expert audience.
Each ECTS credit assumes a dedication of 25 hours of treball per student, of the approximate amounts of one third, they are hours of face-to-face class and the remainder is directed and autonomous that cal fer for dels horais estabrts.
|1st semester||2nd semester|
The master offers a total of 6 electives from which the student must choose 3. The electives of the 2019-2020 academic year are:
- Creation of electronic books
- Creation of products and services in the field of digital humanities
- 3D modeling and creation of virtual environments
- Security and preservation of digital data
- Transmedia, literature and digital environments
- Data visualization
The practices in companies and institutions are one way to deepen the practical training of the students, but it was supervised by the university, a first contact with the labor market or a way to prove various branches of the professional sector.
You stay in companies and institutions can be curricular practices (compulsory dins del marc d'una assignatura trunk) or non-curricular practices or voluntàries (fetes in the marc d'un educational cooperation agreement). It is also possible to stay at centers de l'estranger, with the modality of practical practices.
The work areas of professionals in digital humanities are very varied: museums, temporary exhibitions, libraries, archives, the publishing sector, cultural management companies, support within research projects in the humanities and social sciences, cultural management in city councils , etc.
They are professionals who, thanks to their knowledge of the digital environment, make it easier for the humanities to exploit new ways to show their progress to the public or to have tools that allow new research and new advances. Some samples of the fields of application:
- Generation of infographics.
- Creation of 3D models and reconstructions of monuments and remains of the past.
- Development or management of digital maps to show where buildings, old crops, battles, communication networks are located or how they are distributed, etc.
- Analysis of literary or historical texts in a massive way.
- Management of web servers in which data from any branch of the humanities is displayed.
- Edition of digital books.
- Data management of research groups in digital humanities.
About the School
La Universidad de Barcelona es la universidad pública principal de Cataluña, con el mayor número de estudiantes y la oferta formativa más amplia y completa. Además, es el principal centro de investiga ... Read More