Waikato's Master of Digital Business is unique in New Zealand, as it provides a strong focus on digital technology from a management perspective. If you're keen to pursue a career as a tech-savvy manager, this pioneering programme will bring you bang up-to-date with the theory and practice of e-commerce and digital business.
You'll gain advanced skills in how the latest digital technologies are revolutionising business operations and changing the way we interact with customers and suppliers across most industries. For example, even agriculture is now a hotbed of digital innovation, as geospatial data can link what we buy from the supermarket to specific paddocks, trees or vines.
Our students get hands-on exposure to contemporary business technologies and gain key management skills in leading digital transformation strategies for organisations. You'll also have the opportunity to do an industry internship over summer.
In this degree, you'll explore topics such as cloud computing, big data, mobile computing, beacon technology, gamification, social media, business intelligence, real-time analytics, global marketing, IT consumerisation, location-based services, supply chain integration, automated logistics, e-government business services, and virtual team communication.
In a society that has an obsession with all things smart and mobile, industries and businesses that fail to keep pace with these new technologies will become increasingly irrelevant.
Students can attend face-to-face classes on campus in Hamilton, or choose to study online from anywhere in New Zealand.
If you’d like to gain practical knowledge of digital business and prepare for a professional career, this stream is for you.
It includes an industry internship (8-13 weeks over summer) working on real projects at an organisation of your choice, either in New Zealand or overseas. This is designed to kick-start your career by gaining hands-on experience and help solidify your knowledge base.
You'll also complete an applied research project investigating a problem or opportunity related to digital business.
It's possible to study the Professional stream completely online if you wish – ideal for people who are working full-time. All interactions with staff and students will take place online.
Conduct in-depth research into a specialist area of digital business that you're truly passionate about.
This stream may be the best option for you if you're interested in the further academic study, such as a PhD, or a possible future research career. You'll get to grips with the latest research and gain expertise in how digital technologies can be applied in a business context.
Waikato has an international reputation
You'll be studying at Waikato Management School, a Triple Crown international business school accredited by EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of the world's business schools.
- Digital business manager
- Business analyst
- Project manager
- Systems developer
- Web systems manager
- User experience manager
- Digital marketing specialist
- Product architect
We encourage applications from a wide range of graduates. Even if you don't meet the criteria below, please talk to us to discuss your options, as all applications will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
To apply for the MDigiBus, you need to have:
- A bachelor's degree honours degree, or postgraduate diploma (at least 120 points) in a relevant subject area, such as e-commerce, business/management, or IT/computer science.
- In some cases, you may be considered for admission if you have relevant work experience in the field of IT, digital technology or business; or based on academic merit. However, you may be required to complete some qualifying papers first.
- International students must have an equivalent qualification from a recognised university, and meet the English language requirements for graduate/postgraduate programmes.
- To enter the Professional stream of the MDigiBus, you need to have achieved at least a B-minus grade average for your previous qualification.
- To enter the Research stream of the MDigiBus, you need to have achieved at least a B grade average for your previous qualification.
- Admission to the programme does not automatically imply admission to particular papers, and you may need to complete some prerequisite papers first.
English language requirements
English language requirements for international students:
- an IELTS overall score of at least 6.5, including at least 6.0 in the Writing band, or
- an iBT (Internet-based TOEFL) score of at least 90, with a Writing score of at least 22, or
- a B grade or better at Level 8 in the Certificate of Attainment in Academic English, or
- an overall score of C (with at least a C in the Writing band) in the Foundation Certificate in English for Academic Purposes, or
- a PTE Academic overall score of at least 65, with no less than 58 for each communicative skill.
About the School
This University is provides students with a full and dynamic university experience, distinctive in character, and pursuing strong international links to advance knowledge. A commitment to producing qu ... Read More