Master of Design in Interior Design
Faculty of Design – CEPT University
Interior Design is concerned with the immediate physical environment of a human being, encompassing spiritual, philosophical, mental and emotional relationships that connect Man and space. It is an essential part of our everyday lives. As the demands of society are becoming more complex so also are design responses. As a profession, it deals with a broad range of skills and technical knowledge necessary to deliver effective solutions to design briefs.
Our new course will focus particularly on large-scale complex design problems relating to government buildings, corporate offices, retail malls, and hotels. The specialist requirements of healthcare and hospitality will also be studied in detail. These will be developed through studio-based design exercises in addition to workshop based skill development. The final semester will be an independent design thesis carried out by the student focused on a live industry based problem.
The program will support the students’ ability to work with a wide range of other specialists and design disciplines using the latest software applications for 2D and 3D computer-aided design [CAD]. They will also be exposed to all the regulatory controls and current best practice pertaining to structure, building performance, health and safety and sustainability. In addition, space planning and a detailed understanding of appropriate materials will be developed. The discipline of managing a design business and understanding the norms of professional practice will be integrated into the course.
Graduates from this program will be equipped to work with the key professional design practices in India and abroad.
Minimum Qualifications & Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture or Design or equivalent, awarded upon completion of a course of minimum four years duration, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture recognized by the Council of Architecture, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction Technology (five-year program), OR
- Diploma in Interior Design of four years duration (12 + 4), provided that the program is considered equivalent to a four-year degree program by the Equivalence Committee of CEPT University
Note Minimum of 55% aggregate marks for General category candidates and 50% aggregate marks for reserved categories candidates.
Sanctioned Intake: : 18
The following process will be followed for admissions in the Postgraduate courses at Faculty of Design for the year 2018-19.
Each applicant is required to submit a portfolio and the following documents along with the application.
- Degree Certificate (provisional, in case final not received)
- Transcript of Marks / All Marksheets (Scans of originals)
- Work Certificates (in case of work experience)
- Two Recommendations(with contact details of recommenders).
Applicants will be required to submit a portfolio of their work or student assignments. The portfolio should be of A4 size – maximum 24 pages.
- The applicant receiving grades as GPA/CGPA need to send the document indicating a relationship of GPA/CGPA with percentage marks as per their university/institute along with all the mark sheets.
- The applicant studying in the final semester need to submit all the mark sheets until penultimate semester.
- All applications received will be scrutinized based on information provided/uploaded in the application forms. This scrutiny is to check whether the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. Only those applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and pass scrutiny will be considered for further stages of the admissions process.
In order to select the best and most diverse set of candidates for our program, the selection procedures and criteria are designed to ensure parity of evaluation and eliminate – to the extent possible – biases inherent in any selection procedure. Evaluations are carried out by different individuals in different stages, according to a common framework of evaluation and the results are independently collated to produce the final merit list of selected candidates.
The Evaluation is conducted in multiple stages by the Admission Committee set up by Faculty of Design. Each stage carries specific weightage:
|Academic Performance in the UG Course:||5%|
|FD PG Common Design Aptitude Test:||30%|
|FD PG Subject Specific Design Aptitude Test:||50%|
The stages of evaluation are as follows:
- All applications received are checked for completeness and satisfaction of eligibility criteria. A shortlist is prepared if there are more than 250 applications. If not, all applicants are invited for the Entrance Exam.
- The academic performance and the work experience of each applicant are looked at individually which comprises of 05% weightage (Academic Performance) and 10% weightage(Work Experience) for each respectively. A candidate’s work experience will be assessed based on details given in the application form.
Grade band Criteria 10 More than 4 years of Experience 8 2-4 Years of Experience 6 1-2 Years of Experience 4 Less than 1-year experience 0 No experience
- A panel of two faculty members is set to grade each portfolio independently based on the quality of design and conceptual clarity demonstrated through their work. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 5% of the total grade. It is mandatory for all eligible applicants to appear in the admission test conducted at CEPT University for consideration in the merit list of admissions. The absence in any test disqualifies the applicant from the admission process.
Grade band Criteria 5
Excellent design skills
- Capacity for design resolution
- Innovative thinking
Excellent professional projects – a role of applicant clearly defined
All of the above at satisfactory levels
Some of the above criteria at exceptional levels
All of the above criteria at average levels
Some of the above criteria at satisfactory levels
2 Some criteria unsatisfactory
- The shortlisted candidates have to appear for an entrance exam, which is conducted in two parts. The entrance test largely focuses on evaluating the creative abilities, critical thinking, and analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities along with market exposure and industry knowledge.
a. The first part of the entrance exam is a common entrance exam for all Faculty of Design Post Graduate program applicants. At this point, there is no distinction made on the specialization selected, each candidate appear for the Part 01: FD PG Common Design Aptitude Test. The duration of the exam will be one hour. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 30% of the total grade.
b. After the FD PG Common Design Aptitude Test, candidates appear for the FD PG Subject Specific Design Aptitude Test. The subject-specific design aptitude test is conducted separately for all programs, and candidates applying for individual programs appear for the test. The duration of the exam will be one and a half hour. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 50% of the total grade.
Based on the marks received during various stages first merit list is prepared.
Fees & Financial Aid
Fees for Academic Year 2018-19 will be updated soon.
Fees for Academic Year 2017-18
Rs. 1,600,000 /- per semester*
Rs. 25,000/- (One-time Refundable Deposit)
*Fee for the second year is subject to annual revision.
Student Financial Aid
Please be informed that you can avail Pre Admission Scholarship (Means cum Merit) by filling up the scholarship form. Scholarships ranging from 25% to 75% of the annual tuition fee will be awarded to selected students from among the eligible applications.
The last date for submission of Scholarship is 20th April 2018
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
Students with family income less than Rs. 10 lacs per annum are eligible to apply for this scholarship. Recipients of the scholarship will continue to receive the scholarship for the full duration of the program subject to maintaining a minimum 2.7 SGPA (the equivalent of B-) in every semester and completing all courses in the first attempt.
University holds the right to reject the scholarship application, in case of absence of any required supporting documents to be submitted by the applicant. The award of the Scholarship will be announced along with your Admission Offer Letter, however, the amount will be disbursed after one month from the beginning of semester/lectures.
For any further clarification in this regard please contact Admissions Office in below mentioned contact details.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 3, 2018