Master of Design in Furniture Design
Faculty of Design –CEPT University
The Faculty of Design at CEPT University is offering a post-graduate program in Furniture Design. The M. Des. (Furniture Design) program is a 2-year full-time, skill-based professional program to prepare students as designers and innovators for a rapidly emerging furniture industry.
The M. Des. (Furniture Design) program is a pragmatic response to the growing needs of the furniture industry and of the market. Today, the rate of development in all Indian Metros is exponential in nearly all sectors. The demand for furniture follows on from there in the residential, commercial and institutional sectors. Currently, a large percentage of furniture supplied to the market comes from abroad and could as easily be designed and made in India.
In the spirit of the new ‘Make in India’ initiative by the government, the program will prepare students to be a part of the emerging idea of India as a global, high-tech, high-skill industrial hub. The program aligns with the ‘Make in India’ initiative in its vision to:
- Foster Innovation
- Enhance skill development
- Protect intellectual property
- Build best-in-class manufacturing infrastructure
Addressing this reality, the program will equip students with the tools to be able to add value to all aspects of the furniture industry. "Adding value" is the key objective for the designer whereby the detailed understanding of materials and manufacturing processes enable better products to be made. In addition, the needs of the consumer, either private individuals, corporate or institutional customers, will be understood so that the most appropriate design solutions may be arrived at.
The program will address contemporary issues in design such as mass production, customization, future technologies, environmental issues and at the same time look at cultural skills and techniques of design and making.
The program spans four semesters that are each structured around a specific design theme, building from small-scale simple domestic elements leading to an understanding of complex specialized needs of institutions. At the end of three semesters, students will spend their final semester working on a live-project with a company to acquire first-hand industry experience before they graduate. Students may have the opportunity to be engaged by design studios overseas to undertake their internships.
Students will be taught by highly-trained academic staff who are also practicing professionals engaged in the field. They will have access to a first-class workshop facility which will be integrated into the learning process; where ideas can be tested and full-scale models made. All the resources of CEPT University campus will be available to the students of the program and they will be encouraged to engage with different design disciplines.
Overall, the program equips students with in-depth understanding of furniture design and production and encourages them to investigate the current trends in materials, technology, and consumer behavior in order to develop innovative, efficient and culturally relevant furniture for the Indian market.
The M. Des. (Furniture Design) Program focuses on the following methods of teaching:
- Hands-on learning.
- Group dynamics - participation, discussion, brainstorming
- Thesis and antithesis – independent thinking, research, exploration
- Learning from industry specialists in various fields related to furniture design.
- High faculty to student ratio leading to increased interaction and attention to each student and their specific needs as design students.
- Access to guest faculty from industry and practicing professionals
- Multi-disciplinary interaction of students across CEPT University through electives and summer/winter schools
- Site visits/visits to industry, manufacturing units.
Minimum Qualifications & Eligibility Criteria
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture recognized by the Council of Architecture, OR
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Design (four years or more), OR
- Diploma and/or Degree in Interior Design or Interior Architecture or Design of minimum four years duration (12 + 4), provided that the program is considered equivalent to a degree program by the Equivalence Committee of CEPT University. OR
- Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Civil Engineering
Note: Minimum of 55% aggregate marks for General category candidates and 50% aggregate marks for reserved categories candidates.
Sanctioned Intake - 24
The following process will be followed for admissions in the Postgraduate courses at Faculty of Design for the year 2018-19.
Each applicant is required to submit a portfolio and the following documents along with the application.
- Degree Certificate (provisional, in case final not received)
- Transcript of Marks / All Marksheets (Scans of originals)
- Work Certificates (in case of work experience)
- Two Recommendations(with contact details of recommenders)
Applicants will be required to submit a portfolio of their work or student assignments. The portfolio should be of A4 size – maximum 24 pages.
- The applicant receiving grades as GPA/CGPA need to send the document indicating a relationship of GPA/CGPA with percentage marks as per their university/institute along with all the mark sheets.
- The applicant studying in the final semester need to submit all the mark sheets until penultimate semester.
- All applications received will be scrutinized based on information provided/uploaded in the application forms. This scrutiny is to check whether the applicant meets the eligibility criteria. Only those applicants who meet the eligibility criteria and pass scrutiny will be considered for further stages of the admissions process.
In order to select the best and most diverse set of candidates for our program, the selection procedures and criteria are designed to ensure parity of evaluation and eliminate – to the extent possible – biases inherent in any selection procedure. Evaluations are carried out by different individuals in different stages, according to a common framework of evaluation and the results are independently collated to produce the final merit list of selected candidates.
The Evaluation is conducted in multiple stages by the Admission Committee set up by Faculty of Design. Each stage carries specific weightage:
The stages of evaluation are as follows:
- All applications received are checked for completeness and satisfaction of eligibility criteria. A shortlist is prepared if there are more than 250 applications. If not, all applicants are invited for the Entrance Exam.
- The academic performance and the work experience of each applicant are looked at individually which comprises of 05% weightage (Academic Performance) and 10% weightage (Work Experience) for each respectively. A candidate’s work experience will be assessed based on details given in the application form.
||More than 4 years of Experience
||2-4 Years of Experience
||1-2 Years of Experience
||Less than 1-year experience
- A panel of two faculty members is set to grade each portfolio independently based on the quality of design and conceptual clarity demonstrated through their work. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 5% of the total grade.
Excellent design skills
- Capacity for design resolution
- Innovative thinking
Excellent professional projects – a role of applicant clearly defined
||All of the above at satisfactory levels
Some of the above criteria at exceptional levels
||All of the above criteria at average levels
Some of the above criteria at satisfactory levels
||Some criteria unsatisfactory
It is mandatory for all eligible applicants to appear in the admission test conducted at CEPT University for consideration in the merit list of admissions. Absence in any test disqualifies the applicant from the admission process.
- The shortlisted candidates have to appear for the entrance exam, which is conducted in two parts. The entrance test largely focuses on evaluating the creative abilities, critical thinking, and analytical abilities, problem-solving abilities along with market exposure and industry knowledge.
a. The first part of the entrance exam is a common entrance exam for all Faculty of Design Post Graduate program applicants. At this point, there is no distinction made on the specialization selected, each candidate appear for the Part 01: FD PG Common Design Aptitude Test. The duration of the exam will be one hour. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 30% of the total grade.
b. After the FD PG Common Design Aptitude Test, candidates appear for the FD PG Subject Specific Design Aptitude Test. The subject-specific design aptitude test is conducted separately for all programs, and candidates applying for individual programs appear for the test. The duration of the exam will be one and a half hour. The grade received by the applicant for this Stage is carried forward as part of the final assessment and will constitute 50% of the total grade.
Based on the marks received during various stages first merit list is prepared.
Fees & Financial Aid
Fees for Academic Year 2018-19 will be updated soon.
Fees for Academic Year 2017-18
Rs. 1,600,000 /- per semester*
Rs. 25,000/- (One-time Refundable Deposit)
*Fee for the second year is subject to annual revision.
Student Financial Aid
Please be informed that you can avail Pre Admission Scholarship (Means cum Merit) by filling up the scholarship form. Scholarships ranging from 25% to 75% of the annual tuition fee will be awarded to selected students from among the eligible applications.
Last date for submission of Scholarship is 20th April 2018
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Students with family income less than Rs. 10 lacs per annum are eligible to apply for this scholarship.
- Recipients of the scholarship will continue to receive the scholarship for the full duration of the program subject to maintaining a minimum 2.7 SGPA (the equivalent of B-) in every semester and completing all courses in the first attempt.
- University holds the right to reject the scholarship application, in case of absence of any required supporting documents to be submitted by the applicant.
- The award of the Scholarship will be announced along with your Admission Offer Letter, however, the amount will be disbursed after one month from the beginning of semester/lectures.
For any further clarification in this regard please contact Admissions Office in below mentioned contact details.