The Master of Design (Urban Environments Design) draws on the contemporary Hong Kong/China urban experience to offer a unique postgraduate education in urban space design. In line with the School’s human-centered critical approach to environment design, this studio-based specialism integrates the design of multiple scales and typologies of urban environments. Urban Environments Design focuses on the analysis and design of hybrid and composite interior environments, urban public spaces and urban systems and strategies.
This full-time international postgraduate programme responds to the unprecedented urban transformations occurring during the past few decades in Hong Kong and China. Urban Environments Design aims at the development of a high level of intellectual and practical mastery of the analysis and design of diverse urban environments in the region, with broader implications for urban contexts worldwide. The approach of the Urban Environments Design is based on an understanding of socio-cultural dynamics of the regional context transferred into new design strategies and design interventions.
This specialism seeks to unite practical approaches for innovation in urban strategies with formal aspects of urban environment design, through:
- Real-world project development
- Teamwork approaches to problem solving
- Socio-cultural and aesthetic considerations
- Reflecting critically and analytically on the urban environment value creation by design within the urban environment
- A critical understanding of contemporary urban transformations in China
- Definition of strategic approaches to urban environment design
A Bachelor’s degree in a spatial design field or the equivalent in a related discipline (e.g. interior design, environment design, landscape design, architecture, urban design) is required. Candidates with other tertiary qualifications complemented with substantial relevant professional experience will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Scholarships for Graduates of QS Top Design Schools (2017)
To off-set 10% or 15% (holder of a First Class bachelor’s degree) of tuition, regardless of which MDes programmes students are admitted to – applicable to graduates of QS world’s top universities for art & design - 2016.
Scholarships (offered by MDes full-time specialisms)
On a competitive basis, to off-set 25%–50% of tuition – applicable to all non-local students and PolyU Design alumni who accepted an admission offer.
Admission Dates for September 2017 Entry
- Application Period Starts: 22 Nov 2016
- First Round Review: 20 Jan 2017
- Application Deadline: 30 Apr 2017
- Interview: Mid Feb to May 2017
- Announcement of result: 2 weeks after interview
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 14, 2017