- Ideal for professionals who can see the value of developing advanced knowledge and skills in counseling therapy and in the effective supervision of professionals and counselors.
- Allows professionals from a variety of professional settings to develop skills in counseling.
- Take an applied, experiential focus on your studies, with an emphasis on brief solution-focused and narrative therapies, family therapy, group work, and supervision.
- Gain practical experience in QUT's Psychology and Counselling Clinic.
Operating out of QUT Health Clinics at the Kelvin Grove campus, the Psychology and Counselling Clinic provides professional psychology, family therapy, and counseling services for the community.
This clinic offers training experiences for our postgraduate students across a wide range of psychotherapies, including reflecting team practice in counseling training.
What to expect
This course offers professionals the opportunity to acquire advanced knowledge and skills in counseling. Course learning can be applied to a number of professional settings, and students in this program come from nursing, education, community arts, justice, human services, and other allied health backgrounds.
During this program, you will learn about a range of approaches and techniques that can be applied to brief and collaborative counseling work with individuals, couples, families, and groups. Graduates can articulate and reflect upon their evolving personal framework of counseling practice and apply counseling processes intentionally to support the wellbeing of clients in a number of contexts relevant to their profession.
It is a practice-based program that includes a year of supervised clinical practice in the Psychology and Counselling Clinic.
This course is offered on a full-time basis over two years, or a part-time basis over three years. Classes are held in the evening.
There are requirements that you will need to meet as a student in this course. You will need to identify these requirements and ensure you allow sufficient time to meet them. Some of these requirements have associated costs.
Blue card: you will need a valid blue card to complete practical placements in this course.
Graduates of the Master of Counselling are prepared for specialized positions in the counseling field and are also equipped to contribute to the development and practice of counseling in the professional environment.
This course is accredited by the Australian Counselling Association.
- Child and Family Counsellor
- Face to Face Counsellor
Your actual fees may vary depending on which units you choose. We review fees annually, and they may be subject to increases.
- 2020: $31,100 per year full-time (96 credit points)
Program taught in: