The Master of Science in Computer and Information Science (MCIS) program at the Southern Arkansas University is one of the largest, most affordable and highly attractive computer science graduate programs in the USA. The program offers a wide spectrum of online and onsite courses that are carefully designed to train the students in both theories and applications. The curriculum is constantly reviewed and updated to reflect the ongoing changes in the computer science field. The faculty members are highly qualified — many with extensive industry experience.
Students in the MCIS program can either study general topics in computer science or, based on their background and interest, pursue one of the following focus areas:
- Information Technology
- Data Science
- Cyber Security & Privacy
The MCIS program will provide a solid foundation in computer systems and software, and instill project/team management skills. Possible career options include: software developer, database administrator, information technology manager, data analyst, security/privacy analyst, or pursuing doctoral studies.
Each candidate for the Master of Science in Computer and Information Science degree must complete a minimum of 30 semester hours of coursework that includes 12 hours of core courses and minimum 18 hours of electives.
12 hours of core courses (mandatory):
- MCIS 5103 Advanced Programming Concepts
- MCIS 5133 Data Base Management Systems
- MCIS 6163 Computer Networking
- MCIS 6173 Information & Networking Security
18 hours of electives to be selected from the following:
- MCIS 5003 Survey of Information Tech with Applications*
- MCIS 5013 UNIX Operating System
- MCIS 5113 Web Technology*
- MCIS 5413 Web Programming*
- MCIS 6123 Decision Support Systems**
- MCIS 6133 User Interface Implementation
- MCIS 6153 Software Engineering*
- MCIS 6183 Special Topics
- MCIS 6201-6 Special Topics Seminar
- MCIS 6213 Applied Cryptography
- MCIS 6214 Data structures and Algorithms
- MCIS 6223 Vulnerability Analysis and Risk Assessment***
- MCIS 6233 Traceable systems and Computer Forensics***
- MCIS 6243 Wireless and Mobile Security***
- MCIS 6253 Privacy Compliant Systems Design***
- MCIS 6263 Big Data**
- MCIS 6273 Data Mining**
- MCIS 6283 Machine Learning**
- MCIS 6983 Internship in Computer and Information Science
*Required for Information Technology option.
**Required for Data Science option.
***Required for Cyber Security and Privacy option
Students should have a bachelor’s degree in computer science or a related field. Students with a bachelor’s degree in other areas will be considered and may be required to take up to four undergraduate courses determined by the advisor. No graduate credit is given for the completion of undergraduate courses.
About the School
Southern Arkansas University “feels like home” with personalized tour visits, faculty and staff who care about student success, and a caring campus community. SAU also offers traditional and unique ac ... Read More