Programme Description and Curriculum Outline
The MCom programme comprises of a 50% research component and a 50% course work component. The research component is one compulsory outcome the final research report. The course work component has one compulsory module, research theory and design. Students are then required to choose three elective modules out of the four modules offered. Students are required to pass a total of four courses and their final research report in order to graduate with the MCom degree in the field of accounting.
- ACCN 7006 Research Report (Compulsory)
Course Work (50%)
- ACCN 7021 Research Theory and Design (Compulsory)
- ACCN 7010 Corporate Financial Reporting (Elective)
- ACCN 7017 Theory of Finance and Corporate Policy (Elective)
- ACCN 7019 Auditing (Elective)
- ACCN 7018 Advanced Management Accounting and Control (Elective)
F/T (1 year) or P/T (2 years) by coursework and research.
Benefits of the Programme
The MCom Accounting programme reflects on topical issues in the profession throughout the degree and this is beneficial to students and professionals in the field as it assists with updating their knowledge and remaining relevant in the fast-changing world. There is a focus on writing skills and communication which has benefited all students on the programme. Overall the degree provides both academics and professionals with a relevant post graduate degree in the Accounting field.
Enrolment Criteria/Admission Requirements
Admission into the Master of Commerce is generally considered based on the criteria below:
- A three year undergraduate degree with a major in Accounting;
- A one year Higher Diploma in Accounting or BAccSc (Honours);
- Professional Membership of SAICA (or equivalent body);
- Curriculum Vitae;
- Work experience;
- Good analytical skills;
- Proficiency in the English language.
Specialisations in accountancy, finance, auditing and management accounting.
Closing date for applications is local students, 31 October 2017 and international students 31 August 2017.
Apply through Student Enrolment Centre Postgraduate:
- To apply online please visit: www.wits.ac.za/applications
- To upload documents or view your application status please visit: https://self-service.wits.ac.za
- For postgraduate application closing dates please visit: http://www.wits.ac.za/prospective/postgraduate/applications/11578/closingdates.html
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017