Master of Business (MBus)
Knowledge, research and critical reflective capabilities are essential in complex and changing business environments. The Master of Business is a 180-point research master’s degree, which develops critical and reflective graduates with applied research capabilities. This study is grounded in a rigorous understanding of a specialist field relevant to your professional and research interests.
Minimum entry requirements:
• Bachelor of Business or equivalent
• Graduate Diploma in Business
• B grade average or higher in all relevant prerequisite papers English language level: (International students only)
• IELTS (academic) no less than 6.5 overall with a minimum of 6.0 in each band.
• Students of the Master of Business can only choose a specialisation in which they have a major in their undergraduate degree or they have focused on in their Graduate Diploma.
• Acceptance is dependent on the availability of appropriate staff to supervise research in the selected area of study.
To graduate with a Master of Business, you must successfully complete 180 points including:
1. Specialisation papers
These papers provide comprehensive coverage of the latest research in the chosen specialisation. Students who wish to undertake a thesis must complete at least 60 points in a single specialisation.
Students who wish to complete a dissertation must complete at least 60 points in a single specialisation, plus 15 or more points in other papers from the same or another specialisation – subject to satisfying prerequisites.
2. Research methodology paper(s) (30 points)*
The research methodology paper(s) provides an introduction to philosophical issues shaping the design of research projects as well as choices in research methods available.
* Economics, Finance, Marketing and Taxation students must complete specific research methodology papers in their specialisation.
3. Thesis or dissertation
- Thesis (90 points) OR
- Dissertation (45 points).
Specialist areas include:
- Business Information Systems
- International Business
- People and Employment Management
Postgraduate pathways into the MBus
Graduates of the Bachelor of Business (Honours) or the Postgraduate Diploma in Business may apply for admission to the Master of Business.
Applicants who have an undergraduate degree in another field are usually expected to complete the Graduate Diploma in Business with a B average or better in their chosen subject.
Applicants with relevant overseas qualifications will be assessed individually and may be required to undertake a preliminary course of study.
Doctor of Philosophy
The AUT Business School has over 30 professorial staff leading our curriculum. Our academic staff are capable, enthusiastic teachers and experienced researchers. The Faculty Postgraduate Office staff provide assistance and guidance to students throughout their studies.
Program taught in: