Master of Business and Management (MBM)
Develop an understanding of the global business environment, expand your career prospects and increase your earning potential with our 12 month Master of Business and Management.
The Waikato Master of Business and Management (MBM) programme is New Zealand's only MBM programme that is accredited by the London-based Association of MBAs (AMBA). One of only 50 MBA/MBM programmes in the world.
The programme is designed for graduates of any bachelor's degree – from arts and engineering to teaching and social sciences. Previous business experience is not required.
Over the 12 months, you will develop skills in all aspects of business that will prepare you for management and leadership roles. Enhance your skills in planning for strategic growth, marketing, digital business, economics and financial analysis, human resources, supply chain, and holistic problem-solving. You'll also develop strong communication and creative problem-solving skills; the ability to undertake business research, question ideas and findings and gain the confidence to lead teams and manage organisational change.
Throughout the MBM degree, you’re learning experience is designed to be practical, challenging, inspiring and connected to local businesses.
- You'll work in teams to develop an entrepreneurial start-up business, and then pitch your business idea to industry experts.
- Complete a month-long executive internship at a local business, while completing an Action Learning Project that delivers real value to the company. We organise all internships on your behalf.
- Visits to local businesses are a feature of this programme.
- Learning is through lectures, video, social media, case studies of real businesses, practical group assignments, creative problem solving and reflective learning.
Waikato Management School has a vibrant student culture and provides a supportive learning environment, with access to mentors who have previously graduated from the MBM.
Working with other students from diverse cultural backgrounds will help you to establish a strong network of local and international business contacts.
You’ll be invited to take part in many fun social and cultural activities to help you bond with your classmates – such as hiking up a mountain for the day! Here are some comments made by our students:
- "Wonderful…you’ll be surprised at the amount of practical learning you get.”
- "It's a great place to study ... You will love the nature and the people here."
- "The knowledge and tools that you gain are something you will not regret."
- “Waikato University’s business school is fantastic with the support from staff and students”.
You can also make new friends through student clubs, such as Waikato Management School Students' Association (WMSSA).
·The University of Waikato is ranked in the top 1.1% of universities in the world (QS World University Rankings 2018).
·The MBM programme sits in the Waikato Management School, a Triple Crown international business school accredited by EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of the world's business schools.
·Academics are accessible and supportive.
·93% of our students are satisfied with their University of Waikato experience.
·Our campus is located in Hamilton, New Zealand. Hamilton is the perfect study and lifestyle destination and is a suitable home for individuals and families.
Admission and enrolment
You can apply for the MBM if you have:
- A bachelor's degree in any subject discipline, or its equivalent, from an approved university
- Achieved a B-minus grade average or above in the final year of your degree.
Admission to this programme may be subject to the completion of any qualifying papers, or additional work may be required. International students must have a bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised university, and if applicable, meet the English language requirements. International applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent, and no band score less than 6.0. All applicants are asked to complete an online Pre-MBM Toolkit assessment before classes start. Application procedure
Program taught in: