Master of Business Management
Transform your career and prepare to become a business leader or entrepreneur in only 12 months with a Master of Business and Management.
This one-year masters degree provides a truly transformative business education that will take your career to new heights.
The MBM will give you a comprehensive understanding of the fast-paced global business environment, and prepare you to take on a wide range of management and leadership roles.
It's designed for graduates of any bachelor's degree – from arts and engineering to teaching and social sciences – who wish to expand their career prospects and increase their earning potential. Previous business experience is not required.
Over 12 months, you'll hone your skills in all aspects of business, such as planning for strategic growth, marketing, digital business, economics and financial analysis, human resources, supply chain, and holistic problem-solving.
You'll also develop strong communication and creative problem solving skills; the ability to undertake business research, question ideas and findings, and gain the confidence to lead teams and manage organisational change.
Waikato has an international reputation
Study this degree at Waikato Management School, a Triple Crown international business school accredited by EQUIS, AMBA and AACSB since 2005. This is a global benchmark of excellence in teaching and research, achieved by less than 1% of the world's business schools.
You can start the MBM programme in either March or November.
Graduate study options
On completing the MBM, you have the option to transfer into the MBM Specialist programme and do further study in a specific field of management that you're passionate about. Choose one of the specialisations below:
- International Management
- Public Relations
Note: Students who start the MBM in November and wish to continue with the MBMS will need to take a three-month break the following summer, from December to February.
Waikato Management School has a vibrant student culture and provides a supportive learning environment, with ready access to mentors who have previously graduated from the MBM.
Working with other students from diverse cultural backgrounds will help you to establish a strong network of local and international business contacts.
You’ll be invited to take part in many fun social and cultural activities to help you bond with your classmates – such as hiking up a mountain for the day! Here are some comments made by our students:
- "Wonderful…you’ll be surprised at the amount of practical learning you get.”
- "It's a great place to study ... You will love the nature and the people here."
- "The knowledge and tools that you gain are something you will not regret."
- “Waikato University’s business school is fantastic with the support from staff and students”.
You can also make new friends through student clubs, such as Waikato Management School Students' Association (WMSSA).
Throughout the MBM degree, you'll gain critical business and communication skills, and become aware of your own abilities as a future leader or business entrepreneur.
Your learning experience is designed to be practical, challenging, and inspiring.
- You'll work in teams to develop an entrepreneurial start-up business, and then pitch your business idea to industry experts.
- The opportunity to complete a month-long executive internship at a local business, while completing an Action Learning Project that delivers real value to the company. We organise all internships on your behalf.
- Visits to local businesses are a feature of this programme.
- Learning is through lectures, video, social media, case studies of real businesses, practical group assignments, creative problem solving and reflective learning.
Admission and enrolment
You can apply for the MBM if you have:
- A bachelor's degree in any subject discipline, or its equivalent, from an approved university
- Achieved a B-minus grade average or above in the final year of your degree.
Admission to this programme may be subject to the completion of any qualifying papers, or additional work may be required.
International students must have a bachelor's degree or an equivalent qualification from a recognised university, and if applicable, meet the English language requirements.
International applicants need to provide evidence of English language proficiency, with an IELTS score of 6.5 or equivalent, and no band score less than 6.0.
All applicants are asked to complete an online Pre-MBM Toolkit assessment before classes start.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated May 10, 2017