Master of Business Information Technology
Gain cutting-edge business IT knowledge and learn how to create successful business information systems solutions.
You will develop technical and leadership capabilities to prepare you for challenging positions in business and government organisations.
Our program produces ethically and socially responsible professionals ready to innovate and lead in the changing business IT environment.
Learning and teaching
Your courses may be offered during the day and late afternoon/early evening.
Some advanced level elective workshops are offered over several days and/or weekends.
RMIT's Swanston Academic Building features wireless connection to printers, the web and specialist learning resources, interactive lecture and tutorial spaces, lectorial theatres, small-group rooms and other innovative learning spaces as well as retail and social spaces.
RMIT offers a variety of learning and teaching approaches including lectures, seminars, studios, workshops, presentations, group discussions and syndicate work. These are primarily in English. You will have access to online resources through the myRMIT student portal.
Ongoing assessment throughout the semester includes examinations, essays, reports, presentations, group projects, research projects, quizzes and tests, blog journals and practical assignments.
You must complete 192 credit points, which equals 16 courses (12 credit points each). If you are granted advanced standing, this will be reduced to 12 courses (12 credit points each). The program is structured in stages to enable you to:
- gain a solid background in business
- undertake coursework specific to business information technology and systems
- combine core discipline knowledge with electives to consolidate the knowledge you have gained through your studies
- select electives to suit your chosen career path and based on whether you have an IT or non-IT background
- complete a Business Information Technology Project where you may analyse, design, and build a business information systems solution under normal business conditions.
Investigations in Business IT is a compulsory work-integrated learning course studied in the first year of the program. In the final semester of the program, you will also be required to undertake Business Information Technology Project. In this course you will apply the skills you have learned throughout the program in project management, systems analysis and design, programming, and information technology and networking to holistically experience a systems development process
Two streams of study are available, depending on whether you have an IT or non-IT background.
An Australian bachelor degree or equivalent in any discipline from a recognised tertiary institution with a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 1.0 (out of 4.0)/50%/Pass.
English language requirements
To study this program you will need to complete one of the following English proficiency tests:
- Academic IELTS (minimum scores) overall band of 6.5 with no individual band below 6.0
- TOEFL (Paper-based): minimum score of 580 (with a Test of Written English (TWE) score of 4.5)
- TOEFL (Internet-based): minimum score of 92 with a minimum of 20 in each section
- Cambridge English (Advanced CAE): CAE Grade B
- Pearson: Minimum score of 58 (no band less than 50).
This school offers programs in: