The program emphasizes the acquisition of fundamental knowledge and skills in one area of specialization related to the corporate world such as international business, strategy, and innovation, entrepreneurship, financial economics, and marketing. By combining a choice for major and minor, you can fine-tune your personal graduation profile according to your own interests.
What is the 'Master of Business Economics' all about?
Upon completing the Master of Science in Business Economics, you will be able to apply scientific frameworks independently and critically, allowing you to evolve continuously in a dynamic society. By combining this program with initial specializations from your bachelor's program, you will develop deeper insight into a broad range of fields. The program is structured around the choice of a major and minor discipline, which allows you to fine-tune your personal graduation profile, and to apply research- and evidence-based management practices and tools in various domains. You will gain expertise in selecting best practices in management in today’s volatile, complex and ambiguous business environments. The program equips you with both entrepreneurship and start-up management as well as for management and strategic decision making in established organizations.
KU Leuven occupies a leading position in management and economic research and is highly ranked by the European Economic Association. Top-level research and education complement and strengthen each other. The Faculty of Economics and Business Alumni Association includes many leaders of industry, ensuring excellent career opportunities for our graduates.
The Faculty of Economics and Business has close links with top business schools around the world, such as Copenhagen Business School in Denmark, University of Cardiff in the UK, Hanken in Finland, SKEMA Business School in France, the University of Illinois in the United States, the University of Sydney and the University of Adelaide in Australia, Queen's University in Canada, Tsinghua and Fudan University in China, PUC in Brazil, City University of Hong Kong and many more institutions both in Europe and overseas.
For students MSc in Business Economics, the faculty offers an additional semester at one of these destinations after completing 2 semesters in Leuven. Make your experience truly international by studying in different parts of the world.
Application deadline for 2018-2019
- 1 March 2018 (for non-EEA citizens)
- 1 June 2018 (for EEA citizens)
KU Leuven uses an online application system. You can download and submit your application form via www.kuleuven.be/application. Students with a Flemish degree can consult www.kuleuven.be/studentenadministratie.
Visit the prospective students' website for more information.
More useful information about the program for 2018 -2019 is available here.
The current tuition fee is 906.10 euro for EEA students and 1,750 euro for non-EEA students. The tuition fee for the 2018-2019 academic year will be determined in the spring of 2018. Please consult the website for the most recent information: www.kuleuven.be/tuitionfees.
This is an initial Master's program and can be followed on a full-time or part-time basis.
Is this the right program for me?
You have an entrepreneurial personality with broad socio-economic interests. You are fascinated by the business world and would like to pursue a management career in strategy, international business or finance.
To start this program, students need a solid background in economics or business economics. They should have acquired the basic conceptual frameworks of diverse areas in business economics and have a sufficiently broad view on the general economic and social contexts in which business operates as well as on the human networks within these organizations.
Specifically, students need:
- sufficient analytical skills which will allow them to complete advanced courses in management;
- background knowledge of other social scientific disciplines related to managerial sciences;
- sufficient knowledge of economics.
Graduates generally take up managerial and/or research positions in business, national and international institutions, and in managerial functions at universities. Given the variety of skills acquired, you will be highly sought-after by a wide range of companies (from small firms to multinational corporations) in a variety of positions and sectors in Belgium or abroad.
You can pursue a career as:
- financial analyst
- financial manager
- project manager
- sales manager
This is only a small selection of the many options available to you.
Building on previously acquired general economic knowledge and insights in business, the student is taught to judge complex business structures and propose creative solutions independently or in a team. He develops the skills to take on a management function in a company, he learns to fit decisions in with the whole structure of a company and assess strategic consequences for other departments of the company. He has a lot of specialized knowledge but is also very versatile.
The program consists of a compulsory part, a major and a minor and a Master's Thesis.
- The compulsory program aims to lend the students insight into the strategic consequences of certain decisions.
- The major lends depth in a sufficiently broadly defined functional area, which trains the student for a management position with a wide variety of tasks within this area.
- The minor allows the student to choose between a further deepening of the area discussed in the major, or a broadening in other areas/disciplines.
- Master in de handelswetenschappen (Brussel)
- Master in de handelswetenschappen - avondonderwijs via combinatie contact- en afstandsonderwijs (Brussel)
- Master of Business Administration (Brussels)
- Master of Business Economics (Leuven) (this program is not offered this academic year)
- Master of Business Administration: Double Degree Montpellier (outgoing) (Brussels et al)
Access after preparatory, bridging or abridged program:
- Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in de meertalige communicatie (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in de meertalige communicatie (Antwerpen)
- Master in het Vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen), after taking Voorbereidingsprogramma: Master in het vertalen (2 opties) (Antwerpen)
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 9, 2018