Master of Arts in Theology and Religious Studies
The Master of Arts in Theology and Religious Studies (120 ECTS – 2 years) equips you to teach, lead organizations and churches, and participate in current theological debates relevant to Church and society.
- Besides the focus on fundamental and methodological questions, the Master’s Degree offers a wide range of courses on specific subjects.
- Tutorials and seminars strengthen your research expertise. At the same time, you acquire skills for a leadership or pastoral role and personally develop your theology.
- In the Master’s thesis, you learn to make an independent contribution to theological research.
- The program, taught in English, is designed for international students.
The joint component (35 ECTS) contains courses from the different departments, with special attention being paid to the methodology of research and exegesis.
The three specializations each aim for greater depth in the specific area of work and research (70 ECTS) and culminate in a thesis worth 30 ECTS. Aside from that, you can make use of 15 ECTS of free electives.
- BIBLE & THEOLOGY
- You concentrate on the classical theological disciplines: Old Testament, New Testament, Historical Theology and Systematic Theology. This specialization offers a broad range of courses, allowing you to focus on your areas of interest.
- CHURCH & PASTORAL MINISTRIES
- You specialize in Practical Theology and recent developments in the areas of Church development, leadership and changing structures of authority. You acquire knowledge and skills to assume pastoral responsibilities and a leadership position in Church or society.
- RELIGION & EDUCATION
- You study perspectives on the divine and faith in various world religions, paying attention to theoretical and practical aspects of religious formation and to the study of contemporary missiological issues.
A Bachelor of Arts’ degree in Theology and Religious Studies gives you direct access to our Master’s program. Depending on the desired specialization, you may need to complete a bridge program (max. 18 ECTS).
A knowledge level of English B2 or higher (Common European Framework of Reference) is required. This is equivalent to a TOEFL score of a minimum of 550 (paper-based) or of a minimum of 80 (internet-based) or IELTS score of 7.5.
- Fides Quaerens Intellectum. This motto of Anselm of Canterbury - Faith seeking to understand - inspires our academic education and research.
- We use the term ‘evangelical’ inclusively. At ETF, you will find students and lecturers from a broad range of Church backgrounds and attend classes together with Reformed, Baptist, Anglican and Pentecostal believers and other Evangelicals of all sorts. Honest, respectful and instructive dialogue is central to our teaching. We seek open discussion with all Christian traditions, past and present.
- We reside in a former Jesuit seminary. Our campus has a residential facility with about sixty student rooms and studios with joint garden, terrace, and kitchen.
- ETF is located at the edge of the oldest university city of the Low Countries (1425). Leuven has a beautiful historical city center, charming shopping streets, restaurants and outdoor cafes, and plenty of opportunities to enjoy culture, nature, and sports at student prices. You will also find different Christian churches and student associations.
After your studies
As a graduate, you have a variety of job opportunities, both within and outside of the Church context. Our alumni are pastors/clergy, editors, youth workers, lecturers in higher education, missionaries, pastoral workers, policy advisors and leaders in (Christian) organizations.
ETF’s alumni are represented in 5 continents, more than 63 countries and more than 27 denominations.
About the School
The Evangelische Theologische Faculteit (ETF) in Leuven is a unique institution for higher, university education. We are located in the oldest University City in the Benelux, in a country where Protes ... Read More