Learn advanced principles of biblical interpretation from internationally recognized professors and how to apply them to central theological issues. The theological studies graduate degree examines biblical studies, systematic theology, apologetics, and ethics. This degree prepares you to teach in a church or academic setting.
- 14:1 Class size ratio
- A stable career outlook for theology graduates
- Option to earn Graduate Certificate in Christian Studies after five select courses
Why do theological studies at Northwestern?
The Master of Arts in Theological Studies (MATS) is offered either fully online or on-site (meets one night a week for 4 hours). This degree can be completed in as little as 18 - 22 months. Our program also fulfills the requirements for 36 credits of the Master of Divinity (MDIV) degree.
Grow in your faith with individualized classes and study with renowned Christian professors who have expertise in areas including the Dead Sea Scrolls, the Old and New Testaments, minor prophets, and more.
If you desire to gain a deep understanding of the rich theological truths found in Scripture and to guide others in leadership roles or professional ministry, explore how our MATS degree can set you on your path.
What will you learn?
You will explore church history, develop critical thinking skills in theology, and learn to communicate effectively.
Some classes include:
- Spiritual Formation
- Biblical Hermeneutics
- History of Christianity
- Theological Prolegomena
- Choose online or on-site learning format.
- Take courses from internationally known experts on the Dead Sea Scrolls, Old and New Testaments, minor prophets, and more.
- Experience dynamic discussions and exploration in a rich, nondenominational setting.
- Option to earn a Graduate Certificate in Christian Studies after five select courses.
The MATS degree will prepare you for roles in a variety of settings, such as:
- Christian education
- Mission work
- Higher education
- Church planting
Note: Roles in some settings may require additional education or training.
About the School
The Department of Christian Ministries prepares students for graduate study and to serve in the U.S. and abroad as pastors, missionaries, teachers, and nonprofit leaders.