Master of Arts in Teaching
Do you have a bachelor’s degree in Art? Are you a biologist looking for a second career? Do you love math and want to share your passion?
Our dynamic Master of Arts in Teaching is designed for those with bachelor’s degrees in academic fields who wish to attain teacher certification or are currently teaching with a temporary certificate.
Florida's Premier Teaching Program
At Florida Southern College, you can earn a highly regarded MAT degree in one of the top graduate teaching programs in the U.S. — at an affordable cost. Renowned for providing cutting-edge knowledge and skills for successful, career-minded teachers, this degree will prepare you to have a positive impact in your classroom, school, and community. Partnerships with local schools provide opportunities for internships and assist with job placement upon completing your degree.
Learning By Doing
An active classroom approach is used to promote teambuilding and collaboration as you gain an in-depth understanding of the challenges and complexities of today’s educational environment. Our highly qualified faculty are experts in education and our staff is dedicated to personally assisting you from start to finish. Immersive clinical experiences are integrated throughout the curriculum. Internships provide the extensive classroom experience necessary to build the knowledge, skills, and confidence to transform students into active learners and advance your career in education.
You may choose to complete your degree in as little as 4 semesters, plus an internship. The MAT program consists of courses that are 100% online prior to an internship and seminar which provides a flexible and convenient balance of online and clinical-learning in a high quality program that works with your schedule.
Highly-qualified Faculty, Real-world experience
Selected for their expertise, real-world experience, and dedication, our esteemed faculty is focused on transforming classroom theory into the practical, real-world skills demanded in today’s workplace. Students enjoy the personalized, one-on-one attention that comes with our 13:1 student-faculty ratio and small class size.
- All courses are offered online with the exception of the final semester of student teaching and the internship seminar.
- Personalized attention in small classes; 13 to 1 student to faculty ratio
- Courses conveniently arranged for working professionals
- Accessible, full-time, impressively credentialed faculty will guide you successfully through the program
MAT ADMISSION REQUIREMENTS
- A completed online graduate application form;
- An earned baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution of higher education as verified by an official transcript of all undergraduate work completed;
- Baccalaureate degree with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or better, and a GPA in the major area of 3.2 or better, or a composite score of 297 on the GRE or 393 on the MAT tests;
- Photocopy of ID, passport, or driver’s license;
- Completion of a background check clearance from the Polk County School Board (PCSB);
- Résumé or CV of educational and work experience;
- Personal statement of your expectations of a graduate program to include personal and professional goals;
- Three professional recommendations (FSC recommendation forms may be used);
- Personal Interview;
- Personality inventory may be required.
ADDITIONAL PROGRAM REQUIREMENTS
- Testing: Prior to admission or within the first 12 semester hours of MAT coursework, a passing score is required on all sections of the Florida (FTCE) Teacher Certification
- One semester of student teaching is required during the student’s final semester before graduation.
About the School
The oldest private college in Florida, Florida Southern College was founded in Orlando in 1883 as South Florida Institute.Soon afterward, it moved to Leesburg. In 1885, a college curriculum was added ... Read More