Start Clarkson University's Master of Arts in Teaching one-year program now, kicking off in June with our intensive summer program designed to teach aspiring teachers to teach.
This fall, start a mentored teaching internship, graduate in May, earn New York State teacher certification and be ready to start teaching full time in just one year.
Use your degree to teach others what you know and inspire future scientists, engineers, mathematicians, technologists and language specialists. Clarkson is offering expedited admissions and expanded scholarship options for students starting the program in June.
Other benefits include:
- Individually selected, full-year, mentored teaching internship will give you confidence and experience in the classroom.
- Unique MAT "boot camp" prepares you for your teaching internship while offering an immediate network of colleagues.
- Clarkson MAT graduates have an outstanding pass rate for the New York State Teacher Certification Exam. Our overall pass rate is 96%.
Get a teaching job when you graduate. 95% of our graduates have been offered teaching positions in schools.
‘I chose the MAT program at UGC (now Clarkson) because of the program’s outstanding reputation and high placement rate. The fact that I could complete the program in a year, made it a perfect fit. Thanks to the MAT program and the faculty, everything aligned for me —I got an amazing internship at a fantastic high school and I had a teaching job even before the public schools posted their positions.’
Emma Willard School, Troy, N.Y.
Dept. of History and Social Science
- Assistant Track and Field Coach
The MAT program at Clarkson is a 38 credit hour program. This coursework will be focused on teaching and can be tailored to your subject of interest. You will complete:
- 9 core courses
- 2 electives in the subject area in which you will be obtaining certification
- Independent research project in your certification area
- The Clarkson Teaching Internship
Every member of the Master of Arts in Teaching faculty has secondary teaching experience. Students are successful, in part, because they receive extensive mentorship and support from master teachers who bring advanced teaching skills and extensive classroom experience to the MAT program. As a result, our graduating students are among the most qualified and sought-after teachers in the field.
A complete application file consists of the following items:
- Resume and Statement of Purpose
- Letters of Recommendation – 3 letters required
- Official Transcripts
- Test Scores – GRE* and 80 for TOEFL/6.5 for IELTS (if applicable)
* GRE may be waived for some applicants.
You can do this. We can help.
Clarkson offers a wide variety of scholarships, work-study positions, financial aid and other forms of financial assistance that can help you get the degree you want.
- Merit-Based Scholarships
Every applicant is evaluated for scholarships at the time of acceptance. Applications are not required. Amounts are awarded in accordance with a student’s cumulative GPA, GMAT or GRE scores, letters of recommendation, professional work experience, and resume. There is no limit to the number of scholarships that can be awarded in an academic year. Academic scholarships include professional leadership awards.
- Teacher Opportunity Corps Scholarship Available
- Schenectady Foundation Scholarship
- Financial Assistance
: You can finance your graduate academic study through federal loans, including:
- Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
- Federal Direct Loan Application
- Graduate Student Federal Direct PLUS Loan Application
- Alternative Student Loans
Program taught in: