Master of Arts in Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL)
KIMEP’s MA in TESOL prepares its students to become well-qualified, professional educators of foreign language learners across Kazakhstan and beyond. Established in 2007, this graduate degree program is based on ideas from applied and educational linguistics. Courses provide theory and practice in the latest methods in general language teaching. Although the program’s emphasis is on teaching English, students are not by any means limited English; the theoretical grounding and practical training applies to all languages.
Graduates of the MA in TESOL program will be prepared to pursue teaching and language research opportunities in:
- International schools
- University departments and centers
- Diplomatic service
- Government programs and agencies
- International education programs
The MA in TESOL program lasts from two to four years depending on how many courses a student take in one semester. Students complete 44 credits for graduation. The program consists of a set of required courses and elective courses, along with a practicum and a master’s thesis. Under the close supervision of two professors, all MA in TESOL students write an original and substantive thesis on a language education-related topic of the students’ choice.
Note: KIMEP allows transfers of credits and credit waivers for relevant graduate courses from other universities.
To apply for the program, potential students must:
- Have a university degree with good academic standing
- Pass the KIMEP English Entrance Test (KEET) or hold a comparable TOEFL or IELTS score
- Pass the KIMEP MA in TESOL Entrance Exam and
- Participate in an interview with two members of the MA in TESOL program faculty
Connect with us on social media:
Last updated October 23, 2017