Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT)
Credits Required: 42/48
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program targets persons with a Bachelor’s degree in varied areas and cover a period of five (5) semesters including summer sessions. The philosophy of the program is to empower educators for professional practice and responsible leadership through a rich, varied and dynamic curriculum. It further allows the experience to integrate content across various fields of study relating theory to practice.
The Master of Arts in Teaching program seeks to empower educators for professional practice and responsible leadership through a rich, varied and dynamic curriculum and provides a higher degree program that will enable the clientele to engage in continued research activities that contribute to sustainable development.
The present realities of education as a vehicle for sustainable development require a new approach in educating professionals who are reflective, articulate, resourceful, creative and goal-oriented. This view is based on the premise that the education of the twenty-first century and beyond must be functional and relevant to the needs, challenges, and changes around us.
The Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) program is a graduate degree program for all qualified persons who provide training in the fields of education, business, health and other private/public sectors. The MAT is designed to certify candidates in one of the three-program areas; Primary, Secondary and Adult Education. The coursework integrates content and pedagogy with a strong emphasis on essential teaching competencies.
- Provides the participants with an understanding of the current trends of creating and using technology for sustainable education.
- Facilitates critical thinking for the growth and development of education.
- Exposes participants to a dynamic and integrated curriculum that will empower them to be good education practitioners.
- Enables the clientele to engage in worthwhile research that will result in increasing educational benefits.
- Empowers the participants to be involved in the integration of knowledge across fields of study.
- Provides the kind of environment that will inspire the clientele to become responsible leaders and entrepreneurs in the field of education.
- Facilitates the participants in designing, developing, implementing and evaluating educational programs.
- Creates an awareness of the multicultural diversity of the society and the implications for education.
- Provides opportunities for a wide range of practical experiences in and out of the instructional setting.
- Helps the practitioner to understand self, become aware of the desired values and ethics and be able to promote these for the betterment of the society.
Program taught in: