The Department of Social Sciences allows you to study the behavior of Society, to understand the Human Being in his environment, and to measure the causes and effects of his well-being. It is the duty of the sociologist to be in the service of his Society, in order to lead it towards a civically minded, politically safe development, and ethical responsibility.
Thanks to the training in social sciences, students deal with social issues in terms of globalization, the components of its vocabulary, its purposes, and targets. They learn to struggle against inequality, to lead collective action, to understand all forms of Middle-Eastern, Mediterranean or other politics, and to organize cultural centers. The training prepares students to do research in social sciences; particularly research that focuses on a deep exploration of their society, in order to be involved therein as promoters of salvation.
Objectives of the Training
The Department of Social Sciences offers a multidisciplinary education and aims to achieve the following objectives:
- Provide students with dual information: a) multi-disciplinary knowledge based on theoretical axes; practices and methodologies appropriate to the social sciences and humanities, b) knowledge and skills in terms of work and social intervention
- Provide students with knowledge and know-how in terms of organization, communication, negotiation, animation, project management, by providing professional internships. The aim is to enable students to participate in the local, social and socio-cultural development and in the strengthening of social cohesion.
- Introduce students to economic analysis, through the acquisition of basic concepts in the economy and specialized knowledge in socio-economic politics and development.
- Teach students to become professionals in the social intervention to enroll in the changes and social and socio-cultural challenges.
Targeted skills are conveyed in terms of knowledge and potentials. At the end of the Bachelor degree program, students should, therefore, command essential knowledge in social sciences, particularly in sociology, and should be open to other areas of humanities.
Training in Work and Social Intervention makes the future social worker a versatile social person, able to conduct a relevant and coherent social and sociocultural action which is readable for all categories involved, both at the individual and institutional level and the level of associations.
After obtaining a degree in Work and Social Intervention, the student will be able to exercise, in the institutional, collective and community areas, the following skills:
- Identification of the expectations of individuals, groups or populations.
- Mobilization of partners and social actors, components of intervention areas.
- The accompaniment of individuals or groups, as tutors or correspondents, to orient them towards the appropriate field of skills in accordance with their needs and expectations.
- Elaboration, implementation and management of social or socio-cultural projects, in a participatory manner.
At the level of Masters in Social Sciences and Work and Social Intervention: the profession of the sociologist is currently very diverse and open to a wide range of the field of actions and constituent sectors of the society. The Master in Social Sciences aims to train future sociologists responsible for strategic thinking, research, and training.
The Master of "Work and Social Intervention" prepares future social workers for management and leadership tasks in public and private institutions in their internal and external fields of actions. It offers the acquisition of knowledge and methods of transverse thinking to analyze social situations, evaluate existing social welfare programs and create structural devices meeting the requirements of these situations and their evolution.
Getting acquainted with the framework of the institutional, legal, social and economic organizations.
Skills covered by the Master are the following:
Bachelor of Arts in Social Sciences (96 credits - 3 years) Options: Work and Social Intervention
Teaching Diploma in Social Sciences (24 credits after the Bachelor + internship - 2 semesters)
Master in Social Sciences (36 credits - 2 years after the Bachelor) Option:
- Work and Social Intervention (36 credits – 2 years after the Bachelor)
International Master of University Cooperation for Peace and Development (36 credits - 2 years after the Bachelor), in partnership with La Sapienza University (Roma) and the Lebanese University (Beirut)
International Master of University Cooperation: Middle Eastern Sociology/Anthropology and History (MESH) (36 credits-2 years after the Bachelor), in partnership with the University of Erfurt, Germany.
Ph.D. in Social Sciences (60 credits)
- Instructor/trainer in the fields of social and economic sciences in schools and public and private social institutions (NGOs, municipalities, ministries, notably the Ministry of Social Affairs, movements, associations etc.)
- Administrative officer in various ministries, NGOs and social and media companies, etc.
- Responsible for collective social, socio-cultural, socio-educational, socio-political, socio-economic and socio religious projects.
- Coordinator and facilitator of services for children, youth, elderly, etc.
- Agent of local development in NGOs and municipalities or through projects carried out by international organizations.
- Director or Secretary General of an association or a social structure: public or private institutions.
- Head of Department (3rd-grade post) in public and private institutions.
- Assistant in research projects in Social Sciences.
- University teaching for holders of a Master degree or Ph.D.
- Jobs in research labs in specialized sociology.
- Conducting opinion polls and environmental surveys in polling organizations.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2018