The Master of Arts in Sinology will deepen and expand the knowledge obtained in a Bachelor’s program in Sinology, Chinese Studies or East Asian Studies. The Master’s program is largely research-oriented and prepares students for professional research activities relating to China, for teaching activities, and for any other activities relating to China that require an academic qualification. The program also develops students’ Chinese specialist knowledge and language skills.
The specialist knowledge, methods and skills included in the program are:
- advanced skills in the standard modern Chinese language
- good knowledge of the traditional written Chinese language
- profound knowledge of the historical and cultural foundations of Chinese civilisation and the social structures of China
- considered handling of China-related data, sources, texts and methods,
- familiarity with research methods in sinology including empirical research into China,
- familiarity with the Chinese academic world,
- proficient oral and written communication skills with Chinese people
Students are also taught specialist knowledge in a focus area to be selected from one the following compulsory optional modules:
- Chinese communication and language culture (applied Chinese linguistics and socio-linguistics)
- Chinese knowledge cultures
- Sociological approaches to Chinese studies
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable degree in a similar subject;
- a letter of motivation (600-650 words)
- proof of English language skills (level B2)
- proof of modern Chinese language skills (at least 90 CP)
- proof of knowledge of the traditional written Chinese language (at least 6 CP)
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skills according to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
Applicants with a Bachelor's degree with less than 240 CP or with less than 150 CP in academic China courses, could get admission on condition to make up the difference of the CP in the amount of up to 60 CP.
Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted. Students will be directly admitted if the admission requirements are met in full.
|Goethe Goes Global||Goethe University offers scholarships for this Master program. Eligible for application are candidates from all over the world who have obtained a degree from a university outside Germany.|
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 8, 2018