The world of religions is both local and trans-national and has an extremely varied history. Religions influence cultures, identities and lifestyles and often have a say in politics. Religious Studies is a key way of exploring such correlations. It is a discipline that takes an inter-cultural approach to understand the religious phenomena in history and today in a methodologically precise and coherent way.
The program aims to understand general historical and cultural correlations and approaches that enable us to perceive the idiosyncratic nature of religious phenomena. The focus in Frankfurt is on the various methods of empirical cultural studies as well as on working with a hermeneutic approach to religious phenomenology that explores subjective, internal perspectives of religion.
- Bachelor’s degree in Religious Studies or related subject, or an equivalent degree
- Possible special requirements set by the examination office (up to 60 CPs from Bachelor’s degree)
- Adequate knowledge of the English language to Level B1 according to the Common European Reference Framework for Languages (GER), proofed by:
- four years of English lessons at school (the grade for English on the final certificate must be “satisfactory” or higher), or
- a level 1 UNIcert degree, or
- a TOEFL test (online score of at least 57) or
- a comparable certificate (Niveau B1)
- Applicants with an international university entrance qualification and Bachelor's degree must prove sufficient German language skills according to the regulations of the Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH), the German language test for university entrance.
Provisional admission is possible even if the student has not yet finished the Bachelor’s degree, under the condition that a transcript of records or equivalent document is submitted.
Additionally, applicants have to provide a proof of enrollment in Bachelor's program and a detailed certificate about the status and the expected completion of the bachelor's program.
Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted. Students will be directly admitted if the admission requirements are met in full.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 26, 2018