Master of Arts in Professional Communication (MA)
The master of arts in professional communication at William Paterson University helps students develop knowledge and proficiencies to seek professional advancement and increase their marketability in a variety of competitive industries. Graduates are poised for success in communication and business, including public relations management, integrated marketing, corporate and strategic communication, digital and social media marketing, professional writing, and publishing. This program helps students gain a fundamental understanding of today's communication and business opportunities as well as to provide practical knowledge, strategic and critical thinking abilities, and specific technical skills that may be immediately applied to the job market or advanced studies.
Atinuke (Tinu) Adeniran
Office of Graduate Admissions & Enrollment Services
Telephone – 973-720-2764
The corporate and strategic communication concentration emphasizes strategic public relations skills, corporate issues management, programming of integrated marketing campaigns, and organizational leadership techniques. The digital media and professional writing concentration seeks to develop professional writers in classes that are geared toward the comprehension of digital applications and multi-platform writing for business and media channels.
Class times are flexible and adaptable to hectic work schedules. All courses are taught by experienced faculty members who have senior-level experience in global communication industries, publishing industry, major media networks, and large, successful marketing and public relations firms. Students also enjoy presentations by senior-level executives in media, government, corporate, and non-profit industries in the Professional Seminar.
Professional communication faculty are widely published in a range of business and scholarly journals as well as integrated media platforms. Professors utilize their vast network of executive contacts to help place students in meaningful practicum, internship, and professional opportunities.
In addition to the University’s admission requirements:
- Cumulative grade point average of 2.75 on a scale of 4.00.
- GRE scores.
- Essay articulating the student's goals and expectations; how the student's academic and professional backgrounds fit the nature and mission of the program (or have prepared them for a successful learning experience in the program); how they may benefit from the program; and how they would contribute to the program and their fellow students.
- Two recent letters of recommendation.
- Required for international students only:
- Overall TOEFL score of at least 550.
- Written English score of at least 4.
- Pronunciation minimum score of 2.1.
- Grammar score of 2.5 or more.
- Fluency minimum score of 2.1.
- 30 credits of the graduate study Master project (subject and form to be discussed with your advisor).
MA Professional Communication
Lower-Core Credit Hour Requirements (may be waived)
- PCOM 5100: Integrated Communication
- PCOM 6000: Survey in Professional Writing
- PCOM 6060: Communication Ethics
- PCOM 7300: Master Project
To help focus their studies, students may select one of the program concentrations: Corporate and Strategic Communication orientation-specific courses:
- PCOM 5110: Professional Seminar
- PCOM 6200: Strategic Public Relations Management
- PCOM 5120: Organizational Communication
or Digital Media and Professional Writing concentration-specific courses:
- PCOM 6100: Writing for Digital Media
- PCOM 6150: Digital Communication Applications
- PCOM 7100: Advanced Topics in Professional Writing
Students may take courses in either track as electives and may also select from Electives in Professional Communication:
- PCOM 6060: Communication Ethics
- PCOM 6090: Leadership and Teamwork
- PCOM 6130: Applications for Website Creation
- PCOM 6210: Global Communication
- PCOM 6230: Crisis and Reputation Management
- PCOM 6280: The Press and Global Society
- PCOM 7150: Technology and Integrated Communication
This school offers programs in:
Last updated February 7, 2018