Photography Master of Arts
Study photography and build your distinctive style
One of the most important elements to successfully studying photography is the ability to experiment and develop your personal style. Since the role of the photographer within the arts and creative industries is evolving, particularly in relation to imaging technologies and emerging media devices. Our curriculum encourages you to investigate contemporary trends while being informed by the inextricable historic links of the medium to modernity and the industrialized state: the photograph as art, evidence, document, memorial and snapshot along with the societal notion of photographic truth.
Our focus on ‚staged photography’ offers a diversity of creative methodologies in order to clearly and innovatively communicate ideas or concepts. Through the development of autonomous practice, you will demonstrate expert judgment in analyzing and applying specific photographic theories, traditional practices, and new technologies.
In considering different methods of presenting photography in an exhibition context, it will be our task today to think about photography not only as a two-dimensional medium but as a medium which has the ability to curate a space with narrative moments through installation.
To support your first-rate working conditions, our campuses have an extensive range of media technologies on offer. These include a green screen studio, professionally-equipped photography studios and print lab, an analog darkroom, a scan-lab, film editing rooms, as well as sound studios. Students have the opportunity to borrow various analog in different formats and digital camera systems, professional lighting, and other technical accessories so that they can work on their projects off-campus.
University of Applied Sciences Europe focuses on your creativity and development. That's why we teach in small learning groups and in a friendly and personal atmosphere. You have the possibility to actively shape your studies and career path by selecting your own specializations and choose from a range of interdisciplinary subjects we offer. Our Professors will closely oversee your individual progress, help you define your visual signature, artistic aptitude, and strengths. The Master program also includes practical projects guided by renowned photographers and artists, various field trips and workshops to prepare you for your dream job.
The campus in Berlin is centrally located, equipped with the newest technology and the city is known for its international and English-speaking character, its diverse and vivid art scenes. While in Hamburg, you will benefit from our collaborations with model agencies, advertising companies and the biggest German publishing house in the country.
The Master program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe is one of the first in Germany to have recognized this need and to offer photography at a master’s level. As a graduate of our program, you will be in the perfect position to think conceptually and refine your ideas using knowledge of the most modern technology for artistic or applied careers.
- Early Bird: Apply before 30th of June and get a discount of 10% on your first semester for WS19.
- Degree: Master of Arts (M.A.)
- Campus: Berlin & Hamburg
- Language of instruction: English
- Starting semester: Winter semester: September
- Number of semesters: 3 semesters (one semester equals 6 months)
- Program type: Full-time, consecutive
- Credits: 90 ECTS
- Focus on individual development in small learning groups and a personal atmosphere. Creative freedom, professional equipment, and practical projects. Teaching by renowned photographers.
- Tuition Fees:
- For EU applicants: € 11,400 yearly
- For Non-EU applicants: € 12,600 yearly
What makes studying at the University of Applied Sciences Europe outstanding?
The University of Applied Sciences Europe is accredited by the state, has received multiple awards and is a worldwide leader among universities with an international approach.
Here you study in small courses, so you get individual support and personal contact to our professors. All of our lecturers are successful experts in the world of art, design, and photography.
Besides the theory, your studies contain practical projects. Interdisciplinary courses enable you to determine the content of your studies. Our campus offers state of the art equipment, including photo studios, darkrooms, Mac pools, and more. Voluntary excursions give you the chance to see New York, Iceland, Vietnam, Paris, and other destinations and work on your skills there.
Study at the University of Applied Sciences Europe in Germany
We put emphasis on internationality. That is why we were ranked among the top 25 performers in student mobility and international orientation worldwide (U-Multirank 2016). Our numerous international students come from all over the world to pursue a highly valued (state and ZEvA recognized) German degree that is entirely taught in English.
Germany, known as the country of innovators, is the perfect place to get your degree. Germany is a particularly safe and livable country with relatively low tuition fees and affordable living costs. Furthermore, Berlin is known as Europe's creative capital, a magnet for artists, and "place to be" for designers.
That's why we encourage international students to come here and study with us. You can apply with your national school degree now. We will then take a look at your application and guide you through the process.
Working during your study time
We want your studies to fit perfectly into your life. That's why the lectures for the Master’s degree students are scheduled during the semester on Wednesday afternoon until Friday and/or Saturday afternoon. That is how you can reconcile part-time work with studying more easily.
But don't disregard the preparation and follow-up work a full-time study course implicates.
The program - Interdisciplinary courses, projects and more
The objective of our master’s program is to help you develop your own unmistakable visual language which you can use for applied or artistic work. The core curriculum, therefore, consists of two experimental projects that you work on independently. A considerable portion of the program focuses on the analysis of narrative perspectives and their structure as well as visual storytelling to train your capacity for self-reflection as an artist.
With an additional elective block, we enable you to choose from a wide range of courses that impart knowledge of strategies in entrepreneurship and curatorial practices.
The master’s thesis that you’ll complete in your third semester is made up of a photography project and an academic report.
Your career options with a master's degree in photography
The Master’s degree provides you with the necessary qualifications to work as a successful freelance photographer, as an artist, or to take a leading role in an agency or company for example within the fast-paced media industry. You will have the skills and competencies of working in interdisciplinary, multicultural, and international teams which are sought after in art institutions, design agencies, ad publishers and magazines, in galleries, film and media industry, or the art market.
Our alumni started careers as:
- Photographers for advertising and magazines, company communications, and events
- Photographic artists
Application for the Art & Design Department of the University of Applied Sciences Europe - Master
We’re delighted that you’re interested in the master’s degree program at the University of Applied Sciences Europe. To be accepted to the master’s degree program at our university, you first have to fulfill certain requirements. Everything you need to know is listed below. Should you have any further questions, our Student Guidance Office is happy to help.
You can apply a year in advance for your desired starting semester. The application deadline for the winter semester is August 15th (Non-EU: June 15th) of every year. After this deadline, there will be a waiting list procedure for available study places each semester. If you already have a valid student visa for Germany, you can apply within the official application deadline.
Please forward your application from now on for summer and winter semester 2019.
- Your application: To apply, you must submit the completed online application form, your résumé, a cover letter (approx. 1 to 1.5 DIN A4 pages), plus your high school diploma qualifying you for university entrance.
- Application fee (only for non-EU citizens): In order to check your eligibility to study at UE and to start the application process we ask you to pay a one-time application fee of 50 €. Once this fee is received, we will further assess your application and will revert to you directly.
- Interview: If the members of our selection committee agree that you are a promising candidate, we will call you for an entrance examination followed by an interview. After this, we will tell you straight away if you have been accepted.
- Reservation fee (only for non-EU citizens): Once you are accepted as a student, you will be asked to pay a reservation fee of 3.000 €. The reservation fee is a one-time payment that will secure your spot and will be deducted from the total cost of the program.
- Letter of admission: Once we have received your signed contract and the reservation fee of 3.000 € we will issue your letter of admission. This is mandatory for your visa application.
Once we have reviewed your application, you will receive an invitation to the interview and will be asked to provide a written proposal for a master’s thesis.
Please bring along to the interview:
- Your résumé in a tabular format.
- Bachelor’s degree, transcript, and portfolio with around 20 examples of your artistic work.
- Proposal for a potential master’s thesis, roughly sketched out. The proposal should encompass approx. 5 DIN A4-sized pages, including visuals and the following: title, a brief description of the topic, the artistic and academic significance of the project, possible methods, and resources for realization.
The interview will last about 45 minutes and include a personal talk with at least two high-level representatives of our university. You will have the chance to present your proposal and your portfolio. If we have all the necessary documents, you will receive the results of the interview immediately afterward.
If you are located abroad you can attend the interview via Skype.
Program taught in: