The Master of Arts in Pastoral Theology (MAPT) is a streamlined 36-hour master’s degree that integrates scripture and biblical theology into the practices of pastoral leadership. This degree focuses on how theology forms and informs our practice of worship, evangelism, discipleship, and our ideas regarding the nature of the church, and spiritual formation.
At Kingswood we highly value both theory and practical application, both historical connections and current innovations. We do not see these as separate fields of interest, but as partners in real-life ministry. Real-life problems demand a real-life biblical response. If we do not have a well-developed theological foundation to undergird our ministry, we run the risk of building the Church on programs rather than on Christ.
That is why this fully accredited degree is designed especially for those currently engaged in ministry, and is purposeful in relating the relevant issues facing those in ministry and to those under their spiritual care.
This degree aims to provide a learning environment which is:
- integrated – marrying theology and praxis
- innovative – adapting biblical and theological principles to current sociological realities, methods of ministry and contemporary ministry demands
- experienced-based – theology worked out in the context of life in YOUR local church
- spiritually enriching – the program and courses are designed take you deeper and higher in Christ
- communal – learning together with and through the experiences of other students
- economical – designed to provide maximum benefit at an affordable cost
- flexible – a masters program designed to take advantage of cutting-edge insights and adapt them to the particular needs of each student’s ministry setting
The purpose is to equip ministry leaders with the knowledge and skill sets necessary to lead their congregations to maximum spiritual and missional impact.
One of the strengths of the Kingswood campus experience is its focus on spiritual formation. Integrated into the degree will be opportunities to develop an understanding of, and skill in the use of, personal and corporate spiritual disciplines. Students in the MAPT degree will have the opportunity to participate in key spiritual formation events at Kingswood University such as Ignite, Infuse, and Incite.
One of the strengths of the MAPT degree lies in its structure of delivery: each class will form a learning community, sharing with each other their real-life experiences, insights, and questions.
These learning communities will begin on campus in a one week “intensive” in which participants will build community through worship and the critical discussion of the components of the MAPT program. Communities will meet regularly in person or in a virtual classroom in a number of different venues on and off campus.
Core MA Courses
- The Bible as Christian Scripture
- Theology of Word and Sacrament
- Theology of the Church
- Missional Pastor: Evangelism and Discipleship
- Theology of Pastoral Leadership
- Guided Comprehensive Project
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 28, 2018