Spaces and installations created around the multimedia idea.
The Master of Arts in Multimedia Arts and Design – the first program of its kind recently set up in central/southern Italy – succeeds in fully embracing this complex area of studies, addressing the increasingly central role played by digital technologies and techniques in the design of multimedia spaces and works. It represents a wide-ranging field ranging from the design of installations and fit-outs of cultural events to the realization of spaces in public and private settings and even virtual set design and video mapping on the façades of public buildings and monuments. The Course offers a response of educational excellence to the very high demand for designers and artists trained to work in these sectors, able to combine the creative culture of the designer with expert skills in new technologies.
A complete design process.
Within the process of designing constructed spaces, both indoor and outdoor, the Course in Multimedia Arts and Design gives participants the tools they will need to identify the role of multimedia in relation to the particular functional requirements and environmental conditions of each project. In operational terms, teaching methods are designed to provide participants with knowledge of advanced design representation tools and to take possession of the necessary technical solutions and methodological procedures. The subjects taught include, amongst others, multimedia design, audiovisual performance, multimedia installations, exhibition design, video mapping techniques, interactive installations, virtual and augmented reality and a study of the relationship between contemporary art and new forms of media.
A world of professional opportunities for multimedia artists and designers.
The aim of the course is to prepare highly specialised design and art professionals who plan to enter the industries of art and culture, entertainment, interior design and multimedia communication – sectors where they will be designing and implementing projects such as multimedia installations, spaces and fit-outs, interactive sound environments, audiovisual performances, virtual sets, video mapping and so on. The main objective of the Course is to respond to the new artistic and cultural context by giving participants access to many of the skills required by the creative industries and by training new types of professional: multimedia artists, designers of multimedia fit-outs and installations, technicians specialised in the field of museum exhibition design and experts in multimedia representation and communication.
Academy Degrees are equivalent to Master’s university degrees.
*The course is available in the Italian language.
Coordinator: Caterina Tomeo
Tutor: Caterina Tomeo
Lecturers: Bruno Capezzuoli, Francesca Gollo, Nicolas Martino, Ivan Paduano, Simone Pappalardo, Giulio Pernice, Fabio Pertegato, Daniele Spanò, Caterina Tomeo, Fabio Volpi, Massimo Zomparelli.
Partners: Fondazione Mondo Digitale, Fab Lab, Spring Attitude Festival
MA in Multimedia Arts and Design - Suggested training program - Design and Applied Arts Department
|I Year||Psychology of art||6||45|
|Contemporary art and new media||8||60|
|Multimedia spaces design 1||10||125|
|Multimedia design 1||8||100|
|Sound design 1||6||75|
|Audiovisual performance and multimedia installation||6||75|
|II Year||Mass media theory & methods||6||45|
|Multimedia for cultural heritage||6||75|
|Design of multimedia spaces 2||10||125|
|Sound design 2||6||75|
|Virtual set design||6||75|
|Internships / workshop||4||/|
Admission to the Master of Arts programs
To be admitted to the Master of Arts programs you will need to submit:
- Bachelor’s Degree. Recognized through a “Declaration of Value in Loco (DV)” and legalization of the qualification (to be requested at the Italian Embassy / Consulate of your Country).
- A certificate stating that you have an adequate level of Italian or English (depending on if you wish to attend an MA in Italian or English), achieved over the last 10 years. If you have achieved your qualification in an English/Italian speaking Country, or if the program you attended was in English/Italian you may not be required to submit a language certification.
- For non-EU students: a study visa is required to attend the Academic programs. Students must send a copy of their residence permit/residence permit request to the International students' office 8 days after arriving in Italy.
Students are also required to pass an admission test.
Deadlines regarding admission
Deadline to apply for the test
- First session: 16 January 2020
- Second session: 16 April 2020
- Third session: 4 June 2020
- Fourth session: 10 September 2020
- Fifth session: 1 October 2020
- First session: 20-24 January 2020
- Second session: 18 April 2020
- Third session: 8-12 June 2020
- Fourth session: 14-15 September 2020
- Fifth session: 5-6 October 2020
Direct enrollment deadline
- 1 October 2020
About the School
RUFA, Rome University of Fine Arts, is a multidisciplinary, international educational center – legally recognized by the Ministry of Education, University and Research (MIUR) – offering authoritative, ... Read More