Courses offered in this program shall include two main areas of study: linguistics and literature. A student will have the choice of majoring in any one of the two areas.
In the first year of study, the student will attend lectures, do assignments and write term papers based on registered courses. A course in Research Methodology is especially crucial to a postgraduate student because it will give the student knowledge and skills which he/she would apply when working on his/her proposal and in thesis writing. The student is advised to identify his/her area of research during the first year of study.
In the second year of study, after having identified a topic the student will work closely with a supervisor to develop a research proposal, for the eventual presentation of the same before a panel of scholars.
The program will be delivered through blended mode as explained in under Directorate of Postgraduate section in this Prospectus.
Dissertation writing is an independent study done by the student under supervision. This is combined with the Research methodology course whereby face to face lectures will be conducted to the students after they have completed the rest of the courses. During this time the students are expected to come up with their dissertation proposal in an acceptable and complete form, and this will be assessed and would contribute 30% with the remaining 70% coming from the final dissertation. Then each candidate shall be allocated a supervisor with whom he/she shall have regular contacts during the period of research. The proposal, duly signed by both the candidate shall undertake an applied research and submit a dissertation of approximately 15000-20000 words in partial fulfillment of the Master's Degree requirements. In evaluating the dissertation, the approved regulations regarding dissertation shall apply.
The common regulations of OUT for eligibility to study a Masters degree shall apply. In addition, an applicant must have a BA degree in Kiswahili of OUT or its equivalent from other recognized universities.
Design of the course
The student shall be required to complete a total of 14 units before embarking on proposal and thesis writing.
- The student shall be required to accumulate a total of 20 units; i.e. 14 units in coursework and 6 units for the dissertation.
- Those who major in Kiswahili Literature will register for 4 Core courses, 2 Electives from the same section.
- Those who major in Kiswahili Linguistics will register for 4 Core courses, 2 Electives from the same section.
- In addition, research methodology shall be a compulsory course which carries 2 units and dissertation writing which carries 6 units.
List of courses
A student who majors in linguistics shall also be required to register for any two courses from literature section. Likewise, a student who majors in Kiswahili literature shall be required to register for any two courses from linguistics section.
Below is a list of courses for both sections:
KISWAHILI LITERATURE CORE COURSES:
The candidate shall take all core courses, 1elective from this section and 1 course from Linguistics section making a total of 12 units
|OSW 601 Classical & Modern Poetry||Core||2|
|OSW 602 Kiswahili Drama||Core||2|
|OSW 603 Kiswahili Novel||Core||2|
|OSW 604 Theories of Literary Criticism||Core||2|
KISWAHILI LITERATURE ELECTIVE COURSES
|OSW 605 A Selected Author||Elective||2|
|OSW 606 Oral Literature||Elective||2|
|OSW 607 Movie Criticism||Elective||2|
KISWAHILI LINGUISTICS CORE COURSES:
The candidate shall take all core courses, 1elective from this section and 1 course from Literature section making a total of 12 units
|OSW 608 Kiswahili Phonology||Core||2|
|OSW 609 Kiswahili Morphology||Core||2|
|OSW 610 Kiswahili Syntax||Core||2|
|OSW 611 Kiswahili Semantics||Core||2|
KISWAHILI LINGUISTICS ELECTIVE COURSES
|*OSW 612 History of Kiswahili Dialect||Elective||2|
|OSW 613 Sociolinguistics||Elective||2|
|OSW 614 Translation: Theory and Practice||Elective||2|
|OSW 615 Kiswahili Lexicography||Elective||2|
COMPULSORY COURSES TO ALL STUDENTS
|OSW 616 Research Methodology||Core||2|
|OSW 617 Dissertation Writing||Core||6|
Cost & Fees
Non Tuition Fees
|DESCRIPTION||LOCALS (TSH)||EAC/SADC(USD)||NON SADC/EAC (USD)|
|Student Organization fee (paid annually)||20,000||20||20|
|Quality assurance fee (paid annually)||20,000||20||40|
|Coursework Examination fee per paper||20,000||40||60|
Tution Fee per Unit for Taught Masters Programs
|Mode Of Delivery||LOCALS (TSH)||EAC/SADC (USD)||NON EAC/SADC (USD)|
Note: Facilitation is meant to cater for taxes, levies, postage cost, courier services, and phone call charges.This fee is also paid by Tanzanians residing outside Tanzania.
Other Recommended Direct Student Cost For Masters by Coursework/Dissertation Students
|ITEM||LOCALS (TSH)||FOREIGN STUDENTS(USD)|
|Research/Field Costs & Consultations||1,500,000||1,000|
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 26, 2018