The Master of Arts in International Studies and Diplomacy (MAISD) offers qualified students the opportunity to become specialists in the fields of diplomacy and international affairs. Sponsored by the Moroccan Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, the program provides students with a strong theoretical background and the analytical skills essential to gaining an understanding of international issues and events. The program draws upon the expertise of Al Akhawayn University faculty from different disciplines, and of professionals from the field.
Who is the Program for?
The MAISD program is designed for:
- Academically qualified graduates from AUI and other Moroccan institutions who seek advanced education and training in International Studies and Diplomacy.
- Professionals who are interested in furthering their training.
- International students who wish to gain expertise specifically in North African Studies.
The MAISD program consists of the following:
- Foundation courses in the fields of history, economics, statistics, international relations and cultural studies for students who need the necessary background knowledge in these areas;
- Core courses which provide students with strong theoretical and analytical skills necessary to be competent professionals;
- Concentration courses in International Relations and North African and Euro-Mediterranean Studies, relating to fields such as diplomacy, international security, international co-operation, development, and relations between the Maghreb, Europe, and the Mediterranean;
- An internship which provides students with practical professional experience in an organization, agency or business of their choice;
- Elective courses which may be selected from any graduate-level program offered at AUI.
An International Environment
Students of the Master’s program in International Studies and Diplomacy have the opportunity to interact with students and faculty members from many different countries. The MAISD program sponsors international conferences and invites diplomats and international affairs professionals as guest speakers.
After admission decisions are made, the admissions committee will evaluate each candidate’s academic record to determine which, if any, undergraduate foundation courses the student will take. These courses may be taken online. The procedures for seeking exemptions to assigned foundation courses are explained in the SHSS Graduate Student Handbook.
About the School
Inaugurated in 1995 by His Majesty King Hassan II and Crown Prince Abdallah bin Abdel-Aziz of Saudi Arabia, Al Akhawayn University redefines the classic American liberal arts educational experience at ... Read More