2 Years’ MA Programme in International Economics, Business & Cultural Diplomacy
The Degree is offered by the Furtwangen University (HFU) in partnership with the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy
* if you have completed 4 years studies of the BA – or have professional experience of min. one year following your graduation of 3 years’ BA studies or additional studies after the graduation you could be eligible also to the short track of the program, of 3 semesters (instead of 4)- 2 study semesters and 1 semester dedicated for the thesis. The short track of the program also costs only 9,000 Euros (instead of 12,000 Euros).
Operating under a joint partnership, the Furtwangen University (HFU) and the Academy for Cultural Diplomacy are the first institutions to offer a Master of Arts degree programme that will educate students from around the world in several academic disciplines related to International Economics, Business & Cultural Diplomacy.
The traditional academic components of a degree in these fields have been adapted to fit in the dynamic, rapidly changing world. To that end, our approach to contemporary global affairs focuses also on the increasingly important roles of soft power and cultural diplomacy in world affairs. The degree focuses on several academic disciplines related to International Economics, Business and Global Politics, with a particular emphasis on cultural diplomacy and its historical and contemporary application in the public sector, private sector and civil society.
The degree prepares students for careers in diverse fields, such as the field of international relations, the humanities, business, the financial sector, politics and culture, with a special focus on Cultural Diplomacy institutions and the application of Cultural Diplomacy in the framework of foreign policy and international economics.
The international environment of the Center for Cultural Diplomacy Studies Campus offers students a unique opportunity to interact with leading experts and academics at a wide variety of international organizations and research centers. This exceptional learning environment leads to original research and independent study opportunities.
The programme provides a thorough background in International Relations, International Economics, business and Cultural Diplomacy, using a historical and case study approach. The programme addresses contemporary international issues, with classroom seminars supplemented by lectures and briefings at international and non-governmental organizations; educational events, conferences, tours, and meetings with foreign officials are further incorporated into the curriculum. Students will meet with leading experts working in international organizations, embassies, and academic institutions, and will engage with specialists in the areas of International Relations & Economics, Business, Communication, Politics, Human Rights, Culture, Peace Building, Multilateral Diplomacy, Conflict Resolution, and Development.
The programme provides students with practical experience in both academic and professional development. It allows students to create a solid professional network and form a concrete base for future academic and professional career choices. On a practical level, the programme prepares students for engagement in the international arena, civil society, politics, governmental organizations and international economic organizations. Further information about the programme is found under:
The programme consists of 120 ECTS credits in total and has a duration of four semesters, which take place in the Center of Cultural Diplomacy Studies (CCDS) of the Institute for Cultural Diplomacy - Berlin, Germany and Furtwangen University – Berlin Campus. The MA programme follows the conventional university structure of a two-year course divided into four different semesters. Students are offered an array of elective courses to accompany mandatory courses, work experience opportunities and the final thesis.
During the first year, the first semester will consist of three mandatory modules and two elective courses as the second semester will consist of the professional development programme and 2 elective courses, whilst in the second year, students will continue for the 3rd Semester and the 4th Semester- the Thesis. the 4th Semester could be completed from distance as well, as the students will produce a final thesis on a related topic of choice.
At the end of the fourth semesters, the students will be then required to submit their Thesis.
The Master’s Degree is awarded by the Furtwangen University (HFU), which is recognized as a fully accredited institution of higher education with the right to award university degrees. the Furtwangen University (HFU) is part of the Bologna Process set in place by the European Commission, and uses the European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System (ECTS) to award degrees. Credits obtained through the MA programme are equivalent to those of courses at universities in all other 30+ signatory countries. Students will earn 30 credits per semester during the MA programme, for a total of 120 credits upon completion.
Individuals studying for the MA will represent a diverse range of cultural and academic backgrounds. Candidates will include recent BA graduates as well as young professionals who combine strong academic backgrounds with significant work experience. Individuals are required to hold a BA degree (or equivalent Degree) of minimum of 3 years’ studies, as degrees from across the world and from any field are acceptable*.
We do not consider any one element of an application exclusively. Rather, our admissions panel considers academic achievement as well as personal qualities such as strength of character, motivation and the ability and willingness to take on new academic challenges.
Our aim is to attract students from a variety of backgrounds and countries that will foster a unique and diverse learning environment.
*Current undergraduate students can submit an application and participate in the pre-enrollment process, by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and their transcripts.
All courses are taught in English, thus an evidence of adequate competence in English is required for the applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If you have studied at least 1 semester in an English language and/or have extensive working experience in the English language, a certificate/Document which attests this fact will be sufficient as well.
The application form is found under:
Once submitting the online application form, we will then refer to you with an e-mail, indicating your application reference code and will outlining all the next steps, including the supporting documents required for the application. The supporting documents required for the application process:
- Official Undergraduate/Graduate Degree Transcript: A copy of your official undergraduate degree (and of your graduate degree, if applicable) transcript. If it was issued in a different language than English or German, a certified translation in one of the two languages must be submitted.
- Official Diploma: A copy of the official diploma from the university that awarded the undergraduate degree (and graduate degree, if applicable). If the document was issued in a different language than English or German, a certified translation in one of the two languages must be submitted.
*Current undergraduate students can submit an application and participate in the pre-enrollment process by submitting a confirmation of their current studies and their transcripts.
- Passport and/or National ID Card Copy: A scanned copy of your passport photo identification page and/or of your National ID Card should be sent to the ICD. The information on your passport should be clearly legible.
- Motivation letter: A personal statement of at least 1, max. 2 pages (A4) explaining your motivation for undertaking the MA Programme.
- Curriculum Vitae (Resumé): This should include information of your academic background (institutions attended, courses studied); your professional experience, if applicable; your hobbies and interests; any awards or scholarships received and your full contact details. The curriculum vitae should be no longer than 2 A4 pages.
- Certificate of language competencies: Certification of language competencies is required by applicants whose mother tongue is not English. If you have studied in English for at least 1 semester before or have worked abroad for at least one year in an English-speaking country, a certificate which attests this fact will be sufficient. Otherwise, attestation through language certificates are required; minimum level is 60 points in TOEFL (iBT) or equivalent in other relevant tests (i.E. TOEFL (iBT): minimum 60; TOEFL (PBT): minimum 520; TOEIC: minimum 670; IELTS: minimum 5.0; Cambridge English Certificates: minimum PET (Preliminary).
- Essay: A writing sample of between 2-5 pages on any topic related to the fields of the programme or your former/current studies.
*If you are having difficulties in submitting the full list as above, please inform us and we will endeavour to assist in order to enable the proceeding promptly.
Dates and Deadlines
are being processed on a regular base, as enrolment to the programme is possible towards Fall, Winter, and spring start, each year.
For dates and deadlines please visit our website:
The tuition cost is 12,000 Euros for the full programme. The fees cover only the tuition fees, and do not include housing or any other living costs and related expenses which you may have. .
It is possible to pay the total tuition fee in 2 installments: one of 6,900 Euros to be paid upon acceptance to the programme and 5,100 Euros to be paid prior to the 3rd semester. Personal
The ICD and the Furtwangen University (HFU) are happy to assist you with advice and support for finding your housing and offer you as well possible affordable accommodation solutions.
Scholarships, equaling up to 10% deduction of tuition costs are available for students based on educational excellence and financial need. Although each scholarship request will be evaluated on an individual basis, students are expected to have an above-average grade point of 4.5 (of 5.0) in order to qualify for a grant and then to prove financial need.
The Financial Aid application is a two-step process; Students interested in applying for a scholarship are required to submit their initial aid application request as soon as they have formally applied to the programme, completed the first step of the application, and have been accepted into the programme. Scholarships are then determined for the second and 4th semesters.
Further to these scholarship outlined in our e-mail and online, we are not able to offer any further scholarships or financial support.
Students are welcome to search for scholarships, such as from governments, or other Institutions. With regards to how to obtain such funding, we encourage participants to consider relevant foundations, institutes, organizations, companies and Governments as possible sources. A number of students on ICD programmes have been able to acquire funding from their government, company or from relevant foundations. We do not have any specific sponsor to which we can refer students.
To view all our Academic programmes’ offers please visit:
For more information about our centre and all our programmes offered, please visit:
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 1, 2018