This credit-based programme, offered by the Department of English, is intended for professionals of all disciplines who wish to upgrade their qualifications in English for professional contexts. It is designed primarily for middle-level managerial staff who need to demonstrate a high level of communicative competence in English in situations relevant to their personal needs. The Programme will enable students to communicate effectively, appropriately and confidently in managerial tasks requiring a high level of English.
The aim of the Programme is to equip graduates with an understanding of the concepts and skills that underlie the use of English in professional contexts. These include:
- develop and demonstrate an awareness of how communication functions in organisations;
- improve understanding of the principal language systems of English to be able to monitor their own and others’ work-related language use;
- develop and demonstrate an effective repertoire of practical communication strategies in order to approach demanding managerial tasks with confidence;
- develop and demonstrate the research skills necessary to undertake a substantial study of communication within own organisation with a view to enhancing that communication;
- further demonstrate professional competence and leadership through the critical application of professional communicative competence;
- apply critical and creative thinking skills strategically in professional communication contexts;
- think holistically and analytically in dealing with complex professional communication problems and situations;
- enhance lifelong learning capability through inquiry and reflection on professional communication practice in both local and global contexts.
- A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent in an area of specialism, with English having been the medium of instruction;
- A minimum of two years of relevant post-qualification work experience;
- A very high standard of competence in both written and spoken English;
- Applicants are expected to meet ONE of the following requirements:
- A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 96 or above for the Internet-based test, or 590 or above for the paper-based test; OR
- An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least 7.0 for the listening and reading sections and at least 6.5 for the speaking and writing sections; OR
- A level of competence in English, as demonstrated by performance in the admission interview and written test set by the Department of English, which indicates that the applicant* is capable of studying successfully at the taught MA level.
*This only applies to either native English speakers or non-native English applicants with a Bachelor's degree from a university using English as the medium of instruction (EMI).
Non-native speakers or applicants without a Bachelor's degree from an EMI university still have to fulfil the University-wide minimum language requirements. Exceptional cases shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
The programme is primarily intended for those with an undergraduate degree other than in English. However, applications are considered from a range of specialisms, including English. Candidates are expected to be in current full-time employment.
Direct entry to Stage 3 of the programme is possible for holders of a PgD in English for the Professions (with preference given to those with a Credit or Distinction).
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,500 per credit for non-local students
This school offers programs in: