The graduates of this MA program will have mastered spoken English as well as specialized English in philology and other disciplines within the humanities and will have a comprehensive knowledge of the theory, methodology and practical applications of English linguistics. The graduates will have a wide range of employment possibilities in all areas where university education combined with excellent knowledge of English, communicative, decision-making and information-processing skills and flexibility are required. The most promising graduates continue with their studies in postgraduate programs in the Czech Republic or abroad.
Combinations: single or double honors; may be combined with any other subject to which the double-honors NMgr. program also applies.
The language of instruction is English. English Language and Linguistics is a fee-paying program; the annual study fee is 110 000 CZK.
Description of verification and evaluation criteria
Entrance examination: a two-round examination
Entrance examination content:
- 1st round – written test (max. 50 points, 90 minutes)
- linguistic analysis of an English text
- 2nd round – oral examination (interview, max. 50 points)
- motivation for studying English language and linguistics (max. 15 points)
- the English grammar system and language skills (max. 35 points)
The first round focusses on a linguistic analysis of English text: morphological description of word classes, the syntactic analysis of simple and multiple sentences, basic principles of word-formation and lexical semantics, general knowledge of the history of the English language, knowledge of the functional description of the grammatical system and the relevant grammatical categories.
The second round aims to:
- assess the applicant’s motivation for studying the English language and linguistics (the applicant is expected to demonstrate a keen interest in the English language and linguistics and a general idea of employment possibilities after graduation);
- assess the applicant’s knowledge of the English grammatical system and relevant linguistic terminology (which is expected to correspond to that following completion of a BA degree in English linguistics at a major Czech university) and language skills (including an appropriate command of academic English, both written and spoken).
None (no certificates of English proficiency are required)
Conditions for admission
Admission to Master's studies is conditioned by completed secondary education confirmed by a school-leaving certificate. Admission to Post-Bachelor studies (Master's program) is likewise conditioned by completed education in any type of study program.
|Verification method:||entrance exam|
|Confirmation date (of entrance exam)||from: 25.05.2019 until: 13.06.2019|
|Alternative date (of entrance exam)||from: 18.06.2019 until: 19.06.2019|
Recommended literature, sample questions
Additional information: uajd.ff.cuni.cz (Department of English Language and ELT Methodology)
About the School
The Faculty of Arts at Charles University is currently one of the largest and most important research and educational institutions in the arts and humanities in Central Europe.