The aim of this programme is to develop graduates capable of making an immediate contribution to education. This programme provides you with:
- insights into linguistic, educational and international issues related to English language teaching
- knowledge and skills extremely relevant for an effective English language teacher
- opportunities to reflect and relate recent trends in educational concepts to your own experience and practice
- a critical perspective designed to equip you for the challenges in today's ever-changing teaching environment
- a depth of knowledge which will enhance your ambition to offer a high quality and outstanding English language teaching experience to your students
The programme offers a flexible credit-based system in a highly interactive learning environment.
- 6 Core Subjects (18 credits)
- 4 Elective Subjects (12 credits)
The programme is flexible to meet your needs:
- You can exit at PgD, 6 compulsory subjects (18 Credits) or MA level, 10 subjects (30 credits)
- Mixed Mode of Attendance: full-time and part-time study. Full-time is normally completed in 1 year and part-time normally in 2 years.
- Convenient Timing: most classes take place in the evening and / or Saturday afternoons
- Professional Recognition: new and serving English language teachers who do not hold a degree majoring in English but have completed the MAELT programme successfully will be regarded by the Education Bureau (EDB) as having a relevant language major degree. Currently, the MAELT meets the EDB's Subject Knowledge Requirement (SKR). Graduates meet the EDB's Language Proficiency Requirement (LPR) provided that they also meet the training requirement for language teachers.
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,500 per credit for non-local students
A Bachelor's degree or the equivalent.
Two years of teaching experience at the tertiary, adult or secondary level would be an advantage. Applications will also be considered from students who hold a first degree majoring in English but who have no teaching experience.
Excellent competence in both written and spoken English.
Applicants are expected to meet ONE of the following requirements:
A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 96 or above for the Internet-based test, 590 or above for the paper-based test;
An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least 7.0 for the listening and reading sections and at least 6.5 for the speaking and writing sections;
A level of competence in English, as demonstrated by performance in the admission interview and written test set by the Department of English, which indicates that the applicant* is capable of studying successfully at the taught MA level.
*This only applies to either native English speakers or non-native English applicants with a Bachelor's degree from a university using English as the medium of instruction (EMI).
Non-native speakers or applicants without a Bachelor's degree from an EMI university still have to fulfil the University-wide minimum language requirements. Exceptional cases shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
This school offers programs in: