The aim of this programme is to develop graduates capable of making an immediate contribution to education or business. This programme provides:
- subjects which reflect current trends and demands on language teachers and business trainers in Hong Kong
- opportunities to learn new concepts in English language and language arts studies, such as literature, media, popular culture, drama, spoken language arts (choral poetry reading, debating) and language learning/teaching
- innovative approaches to language studies and language arts which reflect the literacy and language of the present Hong Kong community
- insights into linguistic and educational issues related to using the English Language Arts
- opportunities to reflect on and relate recent trends in the English Language Arts to students’ own experience and practice
- a critical perspective designed to equip students for the challenges of teaching and working environments in which visual, civic, cultural and technological literacies are important
New and serving English language teachers who do not hold a degree majoring in English but have completed the MAELA programme successfully may be regarded by the Education Bureau (EDB) as having a relevant language major degree. Graduates wanting the Subject Knowledge Requirement (SKR) must apply individually to the EDB, which adjudicates on a case-by-case basis. Graduates meet the EDB's Language Proficiency Requirement (LPR) provided that they also meet the training requirement for language teachers. This exemption applies to students obtaining the MA (30 credits). However, the exemption is not granted to students graduating with a Pg.D. (18 credits) or PgC (12 credits).
This programme is offered within the Master of Arts Scheme in Language Studies for the Professions.
There is a provision for a PgC and PgD exit awards.
HK$3,200 per credit for local students
HK$4,500 per credit for non-local students
A Bachelor's degree in any subject, with preference given to applicants who majored in a related field.
Applicants are expected to meet ONE of the following requirements:
A Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score of 96 or above for the Internet-based test, or 590 or above for the paper-based test;
An International English Language Testing System (IELTS) score of at least 7.0 for the listening and reading sections and at least 6.5 for the speaking and writing sections;
A level of competence in English, as demonstrated by performance in the admission interview and written test set by the Department of English, which indicates that the applicant* is capable of studying successfully at the taught MA level.
*This only applies to either native English speakers or non-native English applicants with a Bachelor's degree from a university using English as the medium of instruction (EMI).
Non-native speakers or applicants without a Bachelor's degree from an EMI university still have to fulfil the University-wide minimum language requirements. Exceptional cases shall be considered on a case-by-case basis.
*This programme is offered within the MA Scheme in Language Studies for the Professions.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 22, 2018