The Master’s degree program in Educational Science is conceived as a research-oriented single-subject course of study. It builds on the Bachelor’s degree in Educational Science, deepening and broadening its contents but also adding new elements.
The Master’s program consists of
- a framework in Pedagogy which includes both further modules from the core curriculum recommended by the German Association of Pedagogy (DGfE) and an elective area, and
- an area of concentration, ‚Empirical pedagogical research‘, which gives the program its shape, and which is, once again, sub-divided into an obligatory field, ‚Research methods,‘ and ‚Research-related studies‘, with three possible focal points: ‚science‘, ‚profession‘ and ‚organization‘. The related modules are a combination of seminars and research workshops which may also lead directly to the Master’s thesis.
The research orientation of the program is based first of all on both these elements fixed in the curriculum.
- Bachelor’s degree or comparable degree in a similar subject with the normal period of at least six semesters
The grade of the Bachelor's degree will be converted into points as follows:
1,0 to 1,5 10 points
1,51 to 2,0 9 points
2,01 to 2,3 8 points
2,31 to 2,5 7 points
2,51 to 2,6 6 points
2,61 to 2,7 5 points
2,71 to 2,8 4 points
2,81 to 2,9 3 points
2,91 to 3,0 2 points
over 3,0 1 point
- letter of motivation (about 400 to 500 words)
The written statement should be self- information on the following points:
a) professional competence (priorities, qualifications)
b ) motivation for the program (technical- scientific perspectives)
c ) personal goals and expected job prospects (or professional purposes)
The motivation letter is evaluated as follows:
very good 10 points
good 8 points
satisfactory 6 points
passed 4 points
poor 1 point
- The decision on the recommendation for approval is done on the basis of the marks of the first professional degree (60 %) and letter of motivation (40 %). The resulting overall rating must be at least 7.0 points.
The Bachelor’s thesis must be either completed or about to be completed, and a letter of recommendation from the thesis advisor must be submitted. The certification of the Bachelor’s degree must be furnished within six months of provisional admission.
Mode of admission
Admission is not restricted.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated January 12, 2018