A top quality US-style graduate program designed for students interested in modern economics. The program consists of two years of coursework that equips students with the systematic knowledge of economic theory and empirical research techniques. Students also engage in supervised independent research project resulting in a high-standard MA Thesis. The aim of this program is to prepare students for further postgraduate education (leading towards a PhD degree in Economics) and a career in public policy institutions, government organisations, or private sector.
janeb13 / Pixabay
- Strong background in advanced mathematics.
- Excellent command of written and spoken English.
- Previous education in economics is welcomed, but not required.
- A Bachelor’s degree or equivalent that can be recognized in the Czech Republic (or the expectation of completing a BA degree by September of the year for which you are applying).
How to Apply
All application materials, including letters of recommendation, must be submitted through our online application form or delivered in paper form, by the deadline of 31 March (23:59 Central European Summer Time).
The following materials are required for an application to be processed. All materials must be submitted in English or accompanied by an English translation.
- Online Application Form
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of motivation: please submit a 1000-2000 word statement in English describing your academic and research background, your interests and career goals, and how the program at CERGE-EI will help you meet your objectives. Please see the Statement of Motivation Guidelines.
- Verified copies of your Bachelor diploma and transcript (diploma supplement) with certified translations into English if needed (if the original document is in another language). Please see the Guidelines for Verification of Diplomas and Transcripts for details. Applicants who will be completing their BA studies or will receive their BA diploma only after our application deadline must submit confirmation of studies from their current university and their current transcripts.
- Proof of English proficiency level. Due to the demanding nature of the course, we require all applicants to have sufficient command of (academic) English. As applications are evaluated on an individual basis, there is no official minimum requirement. Applicants can prove their English proficiency by providing a valid (and as recent as possible) certificate from a standardized exam (such as IELTS, TOEFL - Institutional Code 2403, or CAE) or equivalent assessment/certificate that clearly and in enough details reports on the applicant's proficiency in (academic) English. CERGE-EI reserves the right, in individual circumstances, to specify an additional language requirement for an applicant.
- Contact details for two (or maximum three) referees. Their letters of recommendation must be submitted using the reference page in the online application or sent in a sealed envelope with the recommenders’ signature across the envelope. Referees must be familiar with your academic background described in the online application form. Please see the Recommendation Letters Guidelines.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit other relevant documents that may support their application, such as additional study records, certificates, etc.
- GRE, GMAT, etc. are not required for the application. However, we strongly encourage applicants to provide their score results from such exams as they may increase their chance of admission.
All materials must be either uploaded through the Online Application Form or delivered in hard copy. Materials sent by email are not accepted.
About the School
Charles University (CU) was founded in Prague in 1348 by the Holy Roman Emperor Charles IV and belongs among the oldest, largest and most prestigious universities in the world. Charles University is c ... Read More