The Master of Arts (M.A.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CMHC) offered within the weekend/blended format is a CACREP accredited program. This is a 60-credit course of study in which students are required to take a fixed sequence of courses including a one-year, 9-credit supervised internship, and pass a comprehensive examination (MHC 800) in order to be awarded the MA degree.
The program is designed to fulfill the goals of providing students with a thorough grounding in advanced principles of mental health counseling at a graduate level, and instilling students with an understanding of the tools of counseling that is suitable for building careers in private and public mental health agencies. Students will also gain advanced research-based knowledge in the area of group and individual counseling, counseling techniques, and testing and diagnosis. In addition, the program will fulfill an understanding of the professional and ethical issues relevant to mental health counseling and consultation, as well as detailed knowledge of multicultural and career issues in counseling.
**Note: Buffalo and Rochester on-ground campuses are CACREP accredited.
What Can You Do with this Degree?
Alumni of Medaille’s Master’s in Clinical Mental Health Counseling, in Rochester, Buffalo or online, have gone on to careers as:
- Mental Health Clinic Counselors
- Drug and Alcohol Program Clinicians
- Hospital/Psychiatric Center Therapists
- College and University Counselors
- Private Practice Therapists
- The fixed sequence of 14 on-campus weekend classes plus 3 online classes.
- Classes meet one weekend each month (Friday, 6-10 p.m.; Saturday, 9-5 p.m.; and Sunday, 9-3 p.m.).
- Three semesters of supervised internship.
- Start in fall or spring.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Mission Statement
The mission of the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree program at Medaille College is to provide students with a thorough grounding in advanced principles of mental health counseling at a graduate level; provide students with an understanding of the tools of counseling that are suitable for building careers in private and public mental health agencies; provide students with advanced research-based knowledge in the area of group and individual counseling, counseling techniques, and testing and diagnosis; provide students with a full understanding of the professional and ethical issues relevant to mental health counseling and consultation; provide students with detailed knowledge of multicultural and career issues in counseling, and most importantly to provide students a clear professional identity as a future counselor.
Clinical Mental Health Counseling Program Objectives
The program objectives for the Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling degree are:
- To prepare qualified and license-eligible Mental Health Counselors
- To educate graduates who understand and pursue counseling:
- as a research-based discipline
- as a holistic approach to psychological wellness that encompasses multiple approaches in the individual change process
- from a perspective that understands and embraces the multiple dimensions of cultural diversity
- to advocate for social justice and the health of individuals, families, and communities
- To prepare graduates who:
- have excellent helping, communication, problem-solving, conflict resolution, and consultation skills
- are self-reflecting and remain current in the field
- are active agents of change
- To prepare counselor leaders who develop and improve counseling programs and contribute to the counseling field
- To contribute to the local and regional community by preparing qualified counselors to serve the area
- To provide professional development opportunities for students and faculty
A State-of-the-Art Training Experience
The Medaille Family Counseling Center serves as a counselor-in-training facility for students enrolled in Medaille College’s Master in Clinical Mental Health Counseling. This unique collaboration between BestSelf Behavioral Health and Medaille is a fully licensed BestSelf mental health outpatient treatment location offering families and individuals evidence-based mental health therapy. The state-of-the-art facility affords graduate-level students an in-depth, first-hand learning experience that is unparalleled in Western New York.
Medaille Fits Your Life
At Medaille College, we understand the challenges of being a working adult with high career aspirations. That’s why Medaille’s Adult & Graduate programs are designed specifically to fit your already busy schedule. With Medaille, you can earn your degree and still have time for work and family. Medaille College is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education.
- Personalized support.
- Guaranteed classes.
- Collaborative learning environment.
- Financial aid and scholarships are available.
About the School
Medaille College is a private, nonsectarian four-year college with campuses in Buffalo, Rochester and online. Medaille focuses on your success as a student and as a future professional by offering und ... Read More