The online Master of Arts in Art Education (M.A. in Art Ed) program offered by Adelphi University’s Ruth S. Ammon School of Education blends creative practice and contemporary teaching approaches to prepare students in becoming successful art teachers who cultivate the rich connections young people can make through art.
Expert faculty provides highly personalized coursework with unique hybrid scheduling, enabling students to take courses online while completing in-person fieldwork in K-12 classrooms. Gain the hands-on artistic teaching experience and career planning support you need to become a skilled art educator.
We are well prepared to help you explore the role of art in education through meaningful fieldwork placements and student teaching environments no matter where you live in the State of New York.
M.A. in Art Ed students graduate prepared for New York State visual arts teaching certification and to become creative art educators in a range of settings that include:
- Elementary schools
- Middle schools
- High schools
- Public schools
- Private schools
- Charter schools
- Colleges and Universities
- Afterschool programs
- Community-based programs
- Art studios
Who Can Benefit
The M.A. in Art Ed is geared toward individuals who wish to inspire and educate others through interdisciplinary art education and studio art, and value a personalized training environment in learning to do so. Our students are looking to advance their careers and gain institutional endorsement for New York State teaching certifications. With varying educational and professional backgrounds and experience levels in visual art, M.A. in Art Ed students are equally motivated to explore and better understand the many roles art can play in education. M.A. in Art Ed students include:
- Recent college graduates
- Former, current, and aspiring teachers
- Individuals returning to the workforce
- Career changers
- Our blend of online learning and onsite classroom experience offers a convenient educational option to become a creative art teacher and become eligible for New York State teaching certification.
- Well-connected, deeply dedicated faculty members with extensive experience and attentiveness to the unique aspects of the roles art plays in education across the lifespan.
- Receive comprehensive fieldwork placement and student teaching support no matter where you live in New York and benefit from a curriculum geared to teaching certification.
- A personalized experience with a wide range of electives to meet your career goals and strong advisement to support you each step of the way—with coursework, fieldwork placements, and certification.
About the Ruth S. Ammon School of Education
Adelphi’s School of Education is committed to excellence in education and providing opportunities for professional growth by creating authentic academic and field experiences, cultivating respect for the diverse population we serve, embracing ethical practices, and preparing our students to become reflective change agents through research, collaboration and leadership.
Our educational philosophy stresses the value of learning through meaningful activity and reflection within a community of scholars and educators. We recognize learning as a socio-cultural dynamic and as such, our classes are framed within the cultural, historical, and material contexts of the diverse populations we serve. Our philosophy leads to collaborative communities that honor the voices of all and hold the greatest promise for the individual as well as collective efficacy.
As lifelong learners themselves, our faculty and administration value creative expression and artistic exploration for personal and professional growth and are committed to recognizing and attending to our students needs through the development of leadership, technological and communication skills.