American Studies Master program has been specially designed for those interested in developing a career as an American Expert. It aims to provide multidisciplinary and interdisciplinary courses, adopting modern approaches of many American universities. The faculty and students who make up the American Studies Direction combine interests drawn from a variety of perspectives: American Civilization, Literary Criticism, American Government, American Mass Media and Politics, American Popular Culture, American Geography and Regional Characteristics, American Studies and Globalization, Research and Study Skills. These courses are delivered by highly qualified professors, including American Fulbright Scholars, invited by the United States Embassy in Georgia.
- Language of Instruction: English
- Program Duration: 2 years (120 ECTS)
- Awarded Qualification: Master of American Studies
- Tuition fee for Georgian citizens: 3540 GEL
- Tuition fee for international students: 3000 USD
American Studies program is to give students profound knowledge of foundation courses: American Civilization, American Literature, American Government and Media. Besides, successful students will be able to explore how and why culture - particularly types of mass culture including film, television, music, advertising, etc. - plays such a significant role in Americans lives. The courses will help students understand more about how people in the United States think about their country and themselves. So far as the concentration of the program is involvement of students not only in lecturing but research processes as well, they will acquire substantial theoretical knowledge as well as research skills.
It represents a very contemporary program, with an appropriate modern literature, up-to-date curricula, syllabuses in core and elective courses and teaching methods taught by very qualified staff, who have important teaching and practical experience (for example Ambassadors, diplomats etc.), including one Professor from the USA.
Almost all graduates and current students work at the different public and private organizations and educational institutions.
According to Agreements with IBSU partner universities students have an opportunity to participate in various international exchange programs.
Involvement in the diplomatic activity at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or at the International Relations or other appropriate Departments at the different Ministries and Municipal bodies or at Embassies, American organizations, offices of Public Relations, departments of culture, public administrative organizations, universities, NGO-s.
Admission to the Program
A person is admitted to the program if:
- He/she holds a BA or its equivalent diploma;
- Passes A Type test of Unified National Exams for Masters(for Georgian citizens);
- Passes the university internal exams in specialty and English language;
- Those candidates who have international English language certificate equivalent to B2 level (TOEFL IBT, IELTS, and FCE) are not required to take the exam in the English language if, according to the program admission requirements, the English language is considered as a foreign language.
- Those candidates who have graduated from the educational program (instruction language – English) during last three years and their GPA is at least 75 (out of 100) or 3(out of 4), are free from passing English language examination.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 24, 2017