Who Would be Interested in This Program?
- Anyone looking for a supportive environment that encourages reading, writing, and thinking at a higher level
- Current or future English teachers who want to expand knowledge of their content area
- Students pursuing careers that demand critical thinking, research, and writing skills
What Are the Requirements to be Admitted to the Program?
Applicants should have:
- at least a 2.5 overall GPA with a 3.0 GPA in upper-division (undergraduate) English coursework
- an undergraduate major or minor (or equivalent) in English
- GRE scores of 150 verbal and 4.0 analytical writing (GRE waived for applicants with a 3.0 GPA or higher)
Program requirements include:
- Specialization in one of three concentrations: rhetoric/composition; literature; or generalist
- 9 hours of coursework in core English studies courses
- 15 hours of coursework in chosen concentration
- 6 hours of elective coursework in English
- Completion of a thesis and breadth-of-knowledge examination or completions of a two-part breadth- and depth-of-knowledge examination
Where Are Recent Graduates Employed?
- As teachers in secondary schools
- Community colleges and universities
- As teachers of English to speakers of other languages, both in the US and abroad
- Published authors and professional writers and editors
Are you looking for a place to read, write, and think at a higher level?
The Master of Arts in English program at Eastern Kentucky University offers a broad, challenging curriculum designed to prepare you for professional careers and educational environments that demand critical writing and thinking. We encourage our students to investigate and expand their knowledge of a wide range of topics and to participate actively in professional growth and development opportunities.
At EKU, you’ll benefit from
- supportive faculty
- small seminars scheduled at convenient times
- one-to-one mentoring and advising
In addition to fulfilling the admission requirements of the Graduate School, you’ll need to meet the following criteria for admission to our program:
- An undergraduate major or minor in English, with a minimum GPA of 3.0 in upper-division English courses.
- GRE General Test scores of 150 or higher on the verbal section and 4.0 or higher on the analytical writing section. Applicants with a cumulative undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher, or 3.25 or higher in their last 60 hours of undergraduate work are exempt from the GRE requirement.
The Master of Arts program requires 30 hours of graduate credit in English. In our program, you’ll
- take core courses in composition theory, literature and literary theory, language studies, and research methods;
- choose electives from a wide range of course offerings;
- design and complete a faculty-mentored scholarly project; and
- demonstrate the knowledge you’ve acquired in a written comprehensive examination at the end of your studies
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017