One experience that occurs repeatedly in undertakings and other social systems – onerous problems are frequently not commercial or technical in nature but instead are found in interpersonal areas. With people not working productively together, each having their own life stories and pursuing their own agendas. It is not uncommon that open or hidden conflicts arise from this in interpersonal areas, which become inflamed within the organisation and intensify as a result. Individual life experiences and social, inter-organisational relationships are interwoven with each other. And the manner and way in which we react to others also always has its origins in one’s own personality and life story.
With this background in mind, the study course design is guided by the knowledge that a vital tool for the modern leadership of organisations and people is to be found in the reconstruction and processing of unrecognised constellations, expectations and feelings pushed aside in the routine of work.
The lectures provide carefully weighed content from both a theoretical and practical viewpoint, which is aligned to issues for undertakings and organisations especially in the context of change management and organisational development. The theoretical work, as well as the practical exploratory phases, are linked flexibly and in a practice-driven manner with each other. The Organisational Studies course is intended especially for executives in organisations, who have themselves already had the experience mentioned above, as well as for consultants and coaches who would like to expand their psychodynamic knowledge, place it in an organisational context and apply it accordingly.
Change management; organisational development; psychodynamically oriented consultation; coaching supervision and organisational consulting; process consulting, leadership, personal development
Consulting, Leadership and Corporate Culture on a Psychoanalytical Basis
- Study Course - Organisational Studies
- Conceptual study course implementation - Prof. Dr Tilman Allert
- Degree (Executive) - 60 ECTS credits: Master of Arts
- Degree (Extended) - 90 ECTS credits: Master of Arts; Approved Supervisor (in process with DGSv); Psychodynamic Coach (IPU)
- Course type - MA study course to be taken parallel to working
- Credits - 60 or 90 ECTS credits
- Length - 4 or 6 semesters
- A number of students - Max. 20 per study year
- On-campus lectures - Per semester: 4 x 1 ½ days (Friday afternoon/Saturday) + 1 full week of lectures
- Teaching/learning format - Lecture, seminar, workshop, training group, Tavistock conference
- Teaching content - Case studies, reception theory, self-awareness in a professional context
- Lecturing language - German, partly English
- Study location - International Psychoanalytic University Berlin
- Study requirements - Degree from a first third-level study course leading to a professional qualification, as well as at least one year of relevant professional experience
- Costs (Executive) - €500 monthly, or €2,900 per semester, or €11,100
- Costs (Extended) - €500 monthly, or €2,900 per semester, or €16,100 zzgl. der Kosten für die Lehrsupervision mit externen Lehrsupervisoren
- Studies commence - October 2016
The MA "Organisational Studies" course provides:
- Understanding of psychosocial dynamics in organisations and undertakings
- Contextual strengthening of one’s self-awareness and awareness of others
- Acquisition of well-founded, responsibility oriented leadership competencies (leadership)
- Acquisition of psychodynamically based consultation competencies
- Understanding of differing corporate cultures, together with competencies for fostering and promoting them
- Security in the insecure field of leadership and consultation in differing working environments and contexts
The study course combines decisive psychoanalytically oriented organisational, leadership and consultancy research while availing of the many years of consultation expertise gained by the lecturers doing so. The study content includes: Organisational development from a psychodynamic perspective; organisations during change; leading and being led; leadership, management and containment; psychodynamic attitude and psychodynamically oriented communication skills; steering of organisational development, as well as group and team processes; crisis and conflict management, as well as Balint based group instruction supervision and participation in a Tavistock conference.
The study course is intended for all persons who would like to gain a comprehensive understanding of organisations and who are interested in analysing and discussing psychosocial dynamics, including a reflection on leadership and consultation processes, as well as concepts for sustainable steering. To attend the course, it is necessary to have already graduated from a first third-level study course leading to a professional qualification, such as a degree e.g. in psychology, sociology, pedagogy, economics, law or medicine, together with relevant professional experience.
Study Course Structure
The on-campus lecture time amounts to four weekends and one full week of intensive lectures per semester. The study course includes the following components:
Leadership and Organisation (Organisational Studies – Executive)
- 9 modules spread over four semesters
- Balintor based group instruction supervision
- Tavistock conference
Consultation and Research (Organisational Studies – Extended)
- 3 modules spread over two additional semesters
- Practical activities in the form of independently conducted consultation processes or change projects in undertakings or organisations, as well as research projects
- Instruction/teaching supervision accompanying the independently conducted consultations
There is the option to participate in a mentoring programme for those interested.
We maintain academic and scientific contacts in the field of organisational studies with professors in the following universities: FU University Berlin, TU University Berlin, ESMT European School of Management and Technology Berlin, Goethe University Frankfurt am Main, Kassel University, Klagenfurt University, Witten-Herdecke University and Zeppelin University.
- 60 ECTS credits (Master of Arts)
- 90 ECTS (Master of Arts); Approved Supervisor (in process with DGSv – German Association for Supervision); Psychodynamic Coach (IPU)
10 reasons to study at the IPU
- Research-based teaching from lecturers with many years of professional and practical experience
- Integration of psychological, social psychology, business management and ethical knowledge and principles
- Access to both latent and effective leadership and consultation factors and determinants
- Understanding of differing corporate and organisational cultures
- Analysis and discussion of a value-oriented corporate culture
- Inclusion of a generational perspective in the context of the demographic change
- Manageable number of participants in learning groups and personal contact with the lecturing staff
- The extraordinary commitment of all those involved in the courses against the background of the IPU as a private university
- Berlin as a centre of science and knowledge with its numerous libraries and institutions stands for vision and inspiration
- Studying in Berlin as a location of central social developments and international encounters
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 14, 2018