The Master of Architecture is organized by the Faculty of Architecture. The design process – and particularly its social and cultural role-is the core of the faculty’s education. The master’s program combines a designerly with an academic approach. It is characterized by a fully integrated design methodology, providing students with solid skills in the contemporary discipline of architectural design and research.
What is the program all about?
The Master of Architecture program explores the subject from a research-by-design and design-by-research perspective. The program combines an academic approach with a creative experimental approach, and you will be fully prepared for the multicultural and international context of your chosen career.
This Master's program consists of a minimum of four semesters and is organized at faculty's campuses in Ghent and in Brussels.
Based on a highly interdisciplinary learning process of integrated research and ‘research by design’, students are expected to determine a critical stance on current issues with an emphasis on facilitating, making and imagining, leading to relevant spatial interventions.
The learning environment is constructed out of four engagements: Urban Cultures, Craftsmanship, Mediating Tactics and Legacies.
Based on four programs, students, faculty staff and alumni can join on-site traineeship and internship programs, conduct on-site research, and join local academic or professional events.
This program opens the doors to a network of cooperative associations with professionals and universities worldwide and strives to leverage this international network for students' benefit. Other benefits are:
- The faculty's activities are extensive and diversified: students and staff exchange knowledge on a European and intercontinental level. The faculty continues to build on its tradition of academic integration of teaching and research to maintain its high standard of quality.
- The faculty takes its international dimension as the basis for its own quality assessment.
- The teaching staff is a mix of academics and architects with an exemplary practice, including many leading international architects and researchers.
Is this the right program for me?
Are you interested in this Master’s program? You should consider the following:
- Do you have an interest in architecture, building technology, history, theory, and mixed media to design and critically propose new urban projects interventions?
- Do you have a high level of creativity and want to explore and apply it within the field of architecture?
- Are you good at isolating identifying problem issues, conducting research and delivering design-science solutions conclusions?
- Do you want to work with international experts in a multicultural team setting?
If yes, this program is the right one for you.
For a complete list of prerequisite knowledge areas and a more thorough understanding of the International Committee’s evaluation process please visit the faculty website where you will also find more detailed information about the linguistic and mathematical demands of the program.
All applicants must be proficient in oral and written English.
Graduates are trained to lead multidisciplinary teams of engineers, interior architects, landscape architects, and artists. In addition to working as independent (self-employed) architects, graduates also work as professionals in government agencies and international design firms worldwide. Many graduates go onto roles as researchers, serving local or international governance bodies, NGO's or other institutes.
Start your career, during your studies
During your bachelor's and master's program you can already shape your own profile by choosing a certain specialization, studying abroad (Erasmus), doing a work placement, or starting your own business.
The Student Career Center is happy to put you on the right track towards your first work experience. The center also coaches you in the search for an interesting job and helps you with job interviews. For students wanting to start their own business KU Leuven also has Lcie, the KU Leuven community that encourages students with innovative and entrepreneurial ideas.
Don’t know where to start? The Student Career Center's databases contain offers for jobs, volunteer work, innovation projects, and student jobs. You can also visit one of the events organized by the Career Center.
About the School
KU Leuven is an institution for research and education with international appeal. All programmes at this University are based on the innovative research of its scientists and professors and are ranked ... Read More