Advance your financial skills and boost your career with Victoria’s postgraduate programme in Applied Finance.
Offered by the School of Economics and Finance and created in consultation with accrediting professional bodies, the programme is oriented towards applied knowledge so you gain the crucial industry skills you need to hit the ground running.
Finance from all angles
Explore the workings of capital markets in New Zealand and around the world. Gain a deeper understanding of valuation, financing, investment management and banking. Improve your computer skills and perfect the art of financial modelling.
Learn the principles, practice and operations of financial markets, and the management of corporate, government and financial institutions. You'll gain the practical and operational skills you need to succeed in the international world of volatile financial markets.
A global focus
Study with students and lecturers from all over the world. You'll benefit from the experience of a global network of alumni, industry experts and respected academics.
Master of Applied Finance
- Starts: 5 Mar 2018, 16 Jul 2018, 4 Mar 2019, 8 Jul 2019
- Type: Coursework
- Location: On campus (Pipitea, Wellington)
- Complete: 180 points (9 courses)
- Entry: Bachelor's degree with a quantitative focus and two years' work experience
Work as a professional in major financial markets, commercial and investment banks, fund management, energy providers, other large private companies and government departments—both in New Zealand and overseas. If you work in any of the following areas or hope to do so, then the Applied Finance programme is for you:
- corporate and bank treasury staff.
- fund managers, investment advisers.
- corporate bankers.
- investment bankers.
- corporate financial planners.
- stockbrokers, commodity and futures brokers.
- financial communications and data specialists.
- government and local body financial controllers.
- management consultants, lawyers and accountants.
- board directors.
- industry regulators.
The programme also gives you the educational requirements you need to join the following professional finance bodies:
- Institute of Finance Professionals New Zealand Inc (INFINZ).
- Finance and Treasury Association Ltd (FTA).
- Financial Services Institute of Australasia (FINSIA).
The School is continuously working to develop and foster ties with national and international professional finance bodies.
You can look for scholarships based on your level of study, subject area and background.
Overseas students may be eligible for a New Zealand Scholarship through the New Zealand Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade Scholarship Programme.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated December 22, 2017