- Well-established reputation
- Motivated peers seeking professional qualification
- High success rate for Institute of Chartered Accountants
in Ireland admitting examination
- Internationally renowned faculty
What is the course about?
A Master of Accounting from the UCD Michael Smurfit Gradate School of Business is a valuable brand that employers recognise and respond to. Our graduates occupy key positions in the accounting profession and commercial life in Ireland, the UK, the US and in other countries.
The goal of the Master of Accounting programme is to produce high-calibre graduates who will progress quickly through their professional training, and then advance rapidly to senior management positions either within professional practice or industry.
What will You learn?
You will get a thorough education in accounting and learn valuable technical, communication and IT skills.
The programme provides:
- Functional and technical competencies in decision-modelling, risk analysis, measurement, reporting and research.
- Personal and business competencies in ethics, project management, communication, strategic management and sectoral analysis.
- An understanding of how to leverage informational technology to enhance functional, personal and business competencies.
How will You benefit?
As a graduate of the Master of Accounting programme, you are exempt from all but the final examinations of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in Ireland.
Particular strengths of the programme include:
- A long history of producing graduates who excel in their chosen profession
- Access to strong M Acc and UCD Smurfit School alumni networks
- Accounting lecturers and researchers of international reputation
- Extensive use of IT in supporting the teaching environment of the programme
- Access to a variety of specialist database resources which support the preparation of your research thesis
Your Master of Accounting from UCD Smurfit School gives you a competitive advantage that will benefit you throughout your career.
The Master of Accounting programme from UCD Smurfit School offers students a systematic and rigorous knowledge of accounting and related disciplines.
This is a one year programme, broken down into two semesters. Assessment is based mostly on conventional examinations, which are held at the end of each semester, with some continuous assessment.
The programme ensures you are competent in the personal and business skills needed for a successful career, such as reporting and research, risk analysis, project management and communication.
Coursework is completed over two semesters and examinations are held at the end of each semester. You will prepare a dissertation proposal in the second semester, and complete a minor dissertation during the summer months.
Lectures and workshops take place each weekday except Wednesday. Workshops, which include a focus on communication and other interpersonal skills, take place in the afternoons, as do small group exercises and IT laboratories. Regular seminars give students the chance to hear from senior accounting professionals and business executives.
You will complete core modules over the course of the year and a dissertation.
- Intensive Refresher Course
- Financial Accounting I
- Taxation I
- Management Accounting I
- Company Law
- Financial Management
- Financial Methods Workshop
- Financial Accounting II
- Taxation II
- Management Accounting II
- Financial Statement Analysis
- Professional Development Workshop
The Master of Accounting is a specialist post-graduate degree in accounting, which is particularly suitable if you want to pursue a professional accounting qualification and if you are coming from an undergraduate programme that has a substantial accounting element.
You will need:
- A first class or second class honours grade I business degree with a substantial accounting element.
- Familiarity with the Irish or British system of company legislation, taxation and financial reporting.
- If English is not your native language, unless you have done your primary degree through English, an English language qualification is required (eg: IELTS/TOEFL). IELTS – an overall score of 6.5, with a minimum of 6 in each section. TOEFL – a minimum of 100 on the internet-based test, or 250 on the computer based test; or 600 on the paper-based test.
This school offers programs in: