The MFA program provides advanced study for students pursuing a career in web design and new media. Progress in the MFA degree is measured through a rigorous process, both at the midpoint and final reviews.
Studio courses develop creative and technical acumen, with attention to mastering user experience design, while advanced courses provide a focused learning environment for building final thesis projects. Students will graduate with a portfolio and comprehensive thesis project showcasing their talent.
MFA Web Design & New Media Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Web Design & New Media Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project.
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA.
- A minimum grade of C in all required 63 units.
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present a clearly defined design project worthy of the MFA degree.
- Provide proof of concept demonstrating the feasibility of the project.
- Produce a final thesis project demonstrating design thinking, and visual communication and technical skills.
- Conduct appropriate market research and apply findings to design decisions.
- Demonstrate knowledge of thesis topic and identify resources for content development.
- Identify appropriate platform(s) and adapt designs accordingly.
- Effectively utilize grid, hierarchy, typography, color, and composition.
- Demonstrate interactive design principles as appropriate to the project.
Demonstrate an understanding of the technical skills necessary to execute the thesis project.
- Clearly define the target audience demonstrating a consideration of both primary and secondary users.
- Develop a final testing plan based on initial explorations.
- Apply testing results to refine project throughout the design process.
- Effectively articulate and defend ideas and processes.
- Demonstrate organizational skills in the thesis proposal and record of a thesis project development process.
- Develop and demonstrate the skills required for the chosen professional path, as demonstrated in the thesis project, portfolio, and personal website.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated March 19, 2018