- The Master’s Programme in Water Supply, Water Discharge and Rational Use and Protection of Water Resources provides its graduates with the market-demanded knowledge and skills to independently and freely start development of construction of water supply and sewerage systems and properly manage the construction process in a sustainable and safe manner.
- Teach to provide rational use and protection of water resources in the current situation.
- Teach to solve complex engineering and environmental problems in construction of water supply and sewerage systems.
- Teach to work independently with the project related normative documentation and to transfer a construction object into exploitation oriented on quality.
The programme was developed according ECTS system, 1 credit is equal to 27 hours, which is meant as a contact, as well as independent work hours. The distribution of credits represented in the curriculum. The distribution of credits represented in the curriculum. The continuation of programme is 2 years (4 semesters) and covers 120 credits (ECTS) Core courses - 75 credits and research component – 45 credits.
The first-year learning process (two semesters 21-21 weeks) is scheduled as follows: two weeks, particularly in VII and XIV week provided midterm examinations i.e., duration of learning and midterm examinations is 17 weeks. During XVIII- and XXI week provided examinations (Main and supplementary examinations). In first semester of this year master learn 5 credit 1 subject, 7 credit 1 subject and 9 credit 2 subjects. In second semester Master learn 5 credit 2 subjects, 7 credit 1 subject, 8 credit 1 subject and Graduate Research Project/prospectus which estimated 5 credits.
The second-year learning process in third semester Master learn 5 credit 1 subject, 7 credit 1 subject, 8 credit 1 subject and Research/experimental component which estimated 10 credits. In fourth semester Master completes the master's thesis. Master's thesis completion and presentation includes 30 credits.
The studying rights on Master’s programme is entitled person who has at least a bachelor's or equivalent academic degree and has English knowledge in the level B2.2, that must be approved by appropriate Certificate from Institution with special Accreditation, or tests providing by University in Testing Center of University. Person will be enrolled according the results of the Graduate Record Examination (based on Graduate Record Examinations and tests in specialty submitted in the English language). Samples tests will be post up on the website of Department of Education of GTU at least one month before the start of the examinations http://gtu.ge/study/index.php. Admission to the Master's programme without passing the examination may be established by the Ministry of Education and Science.
Knowledge and understanding
- Has an in-depth and systematic knowledge in the field of construction and design.
- Has skills to properly identify and assess risk factors in design, construction and maintenance of the water supply and water discharge systems.
- Has skills to provide rational use and protection of water resources;
- Has a skill to understand how to solve problems that may arise in construction and project design of water supply and water discharge systems.
- Has knowledge to understand a necessity to make technically augmented organizational -economic decisions required to solve the existing problems.
- Has skills and expertise to properly make preparatory construction works and manage construction - installation works of water supply and water discharge systems.
- Has skills and knowledge to independently analyze conditions of the operational water supply and water discharge systems, and if necessary, to develop and implement their reinforcement and reconstruction works.
- Has a fundamental and systematic knowledge of construction norms and rules and of complex issues related to technological processes during construction.
- Has ability to find original ways for settle of complex problem in the construction process.
- Capable of independently planning experiments and analysis data using the latest methods and approaches.
- Has ability to work according to demands independently construct water supply and sewerage systems.
- Has ability to rational use and protection of water resources;
- Has ability to design water supply and sewerage systems and provide technological processes in sustainable and reliable manner;
- Can provide construction of water supply and sewerage systems using the modern construction techniques and technologies.
- Able to search complex and incomplete information from research literature and Internet; to make conclusions based on the critical analysis.
- Able to correctly understand and assess risk factors as well as to make decisions based on the critical analysis in design, construction, and operation of water supply and water discharge systems.
- Able to communicate conclusions, argumentation and research methods with academia and professional community.
- Able to independently provide information related to the existing problems, ideas and solution ways in writing (detailed report) and verbally to academia and professional community, when necessary applying ICT tools.
- Has an ability to participate in discussions with sector specialists. Able to communicate, clearly and in details, his/her conclusions and applied research methods.
- Has ability to strategically plan his/her study and to make comprehensive evaluations.
- Able to study independently and to continue studies at further stage by application of the knowledge gained.
- Able to critically assess his/her knowledge and further develop professional skills.
- Able to evaluate his/her and others’ attitudes to values and contribute to introduction of new values.
- A graduate has an ability to act in accordance with the fundamental laws of ethics.
- Has an ability to respect ecological systems and to assume responsibilities in terms of environmental protection.
- Able to follow professional values (honesty, civic consciousness and activism, accuracy, punctuality, objectivity, etc.).
- Participates in introduction of new values aimed to ensure public safety, health, and welfare.
Forms and Methods of achieving of the learning outcomes
Seminar (working in the group)
Teaching methods during studying process the following methods are used to study the specifics of the course, which is given in the syllabi of the course;
- Collaborative work; using this method implies dividing students into separate groups and giving each group its own task. The group members work at their issues individually and at the same time share their opinions with the rest of the group. According to the problem raised, it is possible to shift the functions among the group members in this process. This strategy ensures the students’ maximum involvement in the learning process.
- Demonstration method implies presenting information with the help of visual aids. It is quite effective in reaching the required result. It is frequently advisable to present the material simultaneously through audio and visual means. The material can be presented both by a teacher and a student. This method helps us to make different steps of perceiving the teaching material more obvious, specify what steps the students are supposed to take independently; at the same time this strategy visually shows the essence of an issue/problem. Demonstration can be very simple.
- Verbal or oral method comprises a lecture, narration, conversation, etc. During the process the teacher conveys, explains the material verbally, and students perceive and learn it by comprehending and memorizing.
- Written method implies the following forms of activity: copying, taking notes, composing theses, writing essays, etc.
- Laboratory method implies the following forms of activity: conducting experiments, showing video materials, etc.
- Practical methods unite all the teaching forms that stimulate developing practical skills in students. In this case a student independently performs different kinds of activity on the basis of the knowledge acquired e.g. field study, teaching practice, field work, etc.
- Explanatory method is based on discussing a given issue. In the process of explaining the material the teacher brings concrete examples the detailed analysis of which is made in the framework of the given topic.
- Manufacturing practice
- Designing and presenting a project. While designing a project a student applies the knowledge and skills he has acquired for solving a problem. Teaching by means of designing projects increases students’ motivation and responsibility. Working on a project involves the stages of planning, research, practical activity and presenting the results according to the chosen issue. The project is considered to be completed if its results are presented clearly, convincingly, and correctly. It can be carried out individually, in pairs or in groups; also, within the framework of one or several subjects (integration of subjects); on completion the project is presented to a large audience.
Sphere of Employment
The knowledge acquired by graduates of the programme can successfully work in such water supply and wastewater systems companies, as „Georgian Water and Power Company” and “Georgian United Water Supply Company”,“ industrial and commercial enterprises, civil organizations, government agencies, consulting firms and agencies, international organizations, energy companies, in corresponding, Ministries and their affiliated agencies; Supervision and Architecture Service of municipality; construction agencies, municipal utility services, water supply agencies, regional, municipal and national sewerage organizations and other organizations.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated September 28, 2017