The Visual Development MFA program provides advanced coursework in still life painting, figure drawing, character design, concept painting, layout design for animation, and other core skills of professional visual developers. The goal of each graduate student is the completion of a signature thesis book showcasing design work for a story-based project.
MFA Visual Development Unit Requirements
- Major 27 units
- Directed Study 18 units
- Graduate Liberal Arts 12 units
- Electives* 6 units
TOTAL 63 units
*Per director approval
MFA Visual Development Degree Requirements
- Successful completion of Final Thesis Project
- Minimum 2.0 cumulative GPA
- Minimum grade of C in all required 63 units
MFA Program Learning Outcomes
Graduate students will meet the following student performance criteria:
MFA Thesis Project
- Present an original thesis concept worthy of the MFA degree
- Demonstrate the feasibility of their thesis project
- Produce a professional-standard project, with topical content for the industry, showcasing artistic ability
- Demonstrate strong drawing and compositional skills
- Create value studies that demonstrate an understanding of lighting, composition, and space
Research and Critical Thinking
- Apply visual research to design solutions
- Demonstrate an understanding of the production pipeline by presenting an effective timeline at the Midpoint Review (MPR only)
Collaborate effectively to produce creative projects
- Apply color and design elements consistent with the overall look of the film.
- Design elements to support the narrative
- Demonstrate continuity in visual storytelling
- Create visually compelling, professional-quality presentation materials
- Pitch ideas clearly and professionally
- Produce a professional-level digital and print portfolio suitable for seeking employment within the industry
- Demonstrate accountability for planning complex projects, prioritizing tasks and meeting project milestones.
Visit www.academyart.edu to learn more about total costs, median student loan debt, potential occupations and other information. Accredited Member WSCUC, NASAD, CIDA (BFA-IAD, MFA-IAD), NAAB (B.ARCH*, M.ARCH), CTC (California Teacher Credential). Acting degree program is currently not offering online courses. **B.ARCH is currently in candidacy status.
All international students will require a VISA to enter the US and an OPT application to extend their stay after graduation. Selecting a STEM approved program allows for the benefit of being able to apply for an extended 24-month Optional Practical Training (OPT) stay to work in the country after graduation.
The following Academy majors qualify for the 24-month STEM Extension: Advanced Architectural Design; Advertising; Advertising & Branded Media Technology; Animation & Visual Effects; Architecture; Architectural Design; Art Education; Communications & Media Technologies; Game Development; Game Programming; Graphic Design; Graphic Design & Digital Media; Industrial Design; Interior Architecture & Design; New Media & Web Design. For more information on approved STEM programs, how to apply, and more common questions about studying as an international student at the Academy of Art University, visit our Frequently Asked Questions page here.
The program length is based on graduating in normal time.
For more information about our graduation rates, the median debt of students who completed the program, and other important information, please visit our website at, http://www.academyart.edu/disclosures
BY SUBMITTING THIS FORM, I GIVE CONSENT TO ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY TO RECEIVE AUTODIALED AND/OR PRE-RECORDED TELEMARKETING CALLS, AND TEXT MESSAGES, FROM OR ON BEHALF OF ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY AT THE TELEPHONE NUMBER(S) PROVIDED HERE. I UNDERSTAND THAT MY CONSENT IS NOT A CONDITION OF MY RECEIVING SERVICES FROM ACADEMY OF ART UNIVERSITY. ALL CALLS MAY BE RECORDED FOR QUALITY ASSURANCE.
This school offers programs in:
Last updated July 11, 2017