Through this program, students will acquire the scientific and technological knowledge, as well as the practical experience, to understand and contribute to high-level innovative R&D processes in the field of visual computing.
- modeling and solving image and video processing and analysis problems.
- exploiting high-level knowledge about human visual perception in order to contribute state-of-the-art solutions for multimedia applications.
- using machine learning algorithms in order to build computer vision applications.
- understanding and implementing a 3D data processing chain (from acquisition to representation)
Visual Computing is an academic curricular of the Computer science Master's Degree. It is a two-year degree (M1 + M2) but only the second year (M2 Visual Computing) is accessible at Polytech Nantes.
Prerequisites for enrolment
- Applicants should hold a degree which validates at least 4-years in higher education (equivalent to Bac +4 in France).
Applicants should be able to demonstrate (from transcripts of their degrees) good knowledge in, not necessarily all, but in most of the following fields:
- software design, software development, software engineering
- signal processing, basic image processing
- machine learning
- mathematics (algebra, statistics, and probabilities)
Academic curricular in Visual Computing (program)
During the first semester, each course comprises lectures and associated exercises as well as personal work. This personal work includes further exercises, hands-on lab work and projects, and revising lecture notes.
Students will have access to a set of reference scientific books and papers, covering the scope of the Master’s program, to study for the duration of their studies in Nantes.
During the second semester, every student starts his/her Master’s internship. The student works full time on his/her research & development project which may be conducted in our research labs (Polytech Nantes will assure an internship in LS2N labs, students don’t need to look for one), or in the R&D team of a private company, typically near Nantes.
First semester (S9) - (30 ECTS)
- Advanced image and video processing
- Perceptual computing
- Machine learning for computer vision
- 3D computer graphics
- Multimedia communication
- Human-computer interaction
- French language and European culture
Second semester (S10) - (30 ECTS)
- Internship - Master's thesis
- What's next?
- Level of education obtained after completion
- Unknown label (Unknown label)
Business sector or job
R&D engineer in visual computing Project engineer Student in top-level international Ph.D. programs
The master’s environment should facilitate future involvement in international Ph.D. top-level programs. The research teams are involved in high-level international research cooperations and have joint research projects with large and small private companies. They actively contribute to projects in the Images and Network R&D cluster.
Our international master is taught in English in Polytech Nantes (Chantrerie campus).
Program taught in: